Rather than going out to buy something for your sweetheart, stay in and bake these homemade Milano cookies. Everyone is familiar with the delicious Pepperidge Farms treats, with their crisp and crumbly cookies sandwiching a thin layer of chocolate. However, the homemade variation takes the cake — or that is, the cookie!
The batter is easy to make, although I had trouble baking them for the first time. I wanted fun shapes, but the batter runs in the oven, so don't bother trying to make a heart-shaped cookie. Stick with one-inch strips, or for a circular cookie, very thin layers in a lined muffin tin. Once you get the hang of the cookies, the filling is simple. Skip the baked goods aisle at your local gorcer and make your own Milano cookies.
12 tablespoons butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
7/8 cup egg whites (from about 6 eggs)
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
zest of one lemon
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces dark chocolate chips
- Cream the butter with a paddle attachment then mix in the sugar.
- Add the egg whites gradually and then mix in the vanilla and lemon zest.
- Add the flour and mix until just incorporated.
- With a small (1/4-inch) plain tip, pipe 1-inch sections of batter onto a parchment-lined sheet pan, spacing them 2 inches apart as they spread. Or spray a muffin lined tin with oil and pipe a thin amount of cookie into each muffin tin. Just cover the bottom of a muffin cup.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan.
- Cookie Filling: In a small saucepan over medium flame, scald cream.
- Pour hot cream over chocolate in a bowl. Whisk to melt chocolate and blend well.
- Set aside to cool (the mixture will thicken as it cools). Spread a thin amount of the filling onto the flat side of a cookie while the filling is still soft and press the flat side of a second cookie on top. Repeat with the remainder of the cookies.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.
- Desserts, Cookies
Do you have an amazing recipe? Post your recipe in Kitchen Goddess and we might feature it here on YumSugar!