From Real Simple magazine
Rhubarb Tart Dessert
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
14 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
3/4 pound fresh rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
12 ounces fresh raspberries
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the sugar.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse until the dough comes together but is still slightly crumbly (you should use 3 to 4 tablespoons total).
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently. Shape the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, raspberries, and 1 cup of the remaining sugar; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 14-inch circle.
- Place it in a large cast-iron skillet, allowing the dough to hang over the edge. Top with the rhubarb mixture. Fold the edge of the dough over the fruit (to create pleats).
- Lightly brush the top of the dough with water and sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Bake until golden brown, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve with the whipped cream or ice cream (if using).
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES 576(43% from fat); FAT 28g (sat 17g); SUGAR 41g; PROTEIN 6g; CHOLESTEROL 71mg; SODIUM 86mg; FIBER 6g; CARBOHYDRATE 79g