- Desserts, Cookies
Shortbread keeps particularly well when stored in an airtight container, and actually has a better texture on the second day.
10 tablespoons (5 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup (1 ounce) powdered sugar, sifted
1-1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup (1 ounce) cornstarch
1-1/4 cups (6-1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
- Beat together the butter, powdered and granulated sugars, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer until lightened in color and fluffy.
- Sift together the cornstarch and flour, and add it in three additions to the butter-sugar mixture, scraping down the bowl between each addition. Mix until a cohesive dough just begins to form (it will be crumbly).
- Turn the dough out into an 8-by-8-inch square pan and press it firmly into an even layer. Prick the dough in a decorative pattern with the tines of a fork and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Allow to cool for about 20 minutes, then cut almost all the way through to form bars. Sprinkle with a bit of granulated sugar. Allow to completely cool, then cut through the bars the rest of the way.
Makes 16 2-by-2-inch bar cookies.