Spicy tuna tartare is irresistible and elegant offered on waffle-cut potato chips, while classic Caesar salad turns into an instant appetizer when scooped into endive spears. These uncomplicated recipes are after the break, but if you prefer a menu of bites inspired by episodes of the show, you'll find them here. Otherwise, keep reading for the pizza, tartare, and salad recipes.
2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour or bread flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour or bread flour
3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten flour or bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (105°F to 115°F)
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Additional unbleached all purpose flour (for kneading and shaping)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus additional for brushing
6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, thinly sliced
6 ounces fresh chanterelle mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cup (packed) coarsely grated whole-milk mozzarella cheese
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
6 ounces chilled soft fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled
2 tablespoons sliced fresh chives
- For dough: Combine all flours, coarse salt, and sugar in processor. Stir 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water and yeast in 2-cup measuring cup. Let stand until yeast dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons oil. With machine running, pour yeast-oil mixture through feed tube. Blend until ball of slightly sticky dough forms, about 1 minute.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if very sticky, about 5 minutes.
- Rub with 1/2 tablespoon oil; place in resealable 1-gallon plastic bag. Seal bag. Let dough rise at room temperature until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Open bag; punch down dough in bag. Reseal. Chill overnight, punching down occasionally. Divide into thirds. DO AHEAD: Wrap pieces separately; freeze up to 1 week. Thaw 2 pieces in refrigerator before continuing. Let 2 wrapped pieces stand at room temperature 1 hour before shaping.
- For topping: Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sprinkle with salt. Sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover, and chill.
- Sprinkle 2 large sheets of parchment with flour. Roll out 2 dough pieces, each on separate parchment sheet, to 10-inch rounds, letting dough rest a few minutes if springing back.
- Brush with oil; sprinkle each with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/3 cup Parmesan. Top with mushrooms, then dot with goat cheese. DO AHEAD: Slide pizzas on parchment onto baking sheets; cover with plastic. Chill up to 4 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Position 1 rack in bottom third and 1 rack in top third of oven; place heavy baking sheet on each and preheat oven to 450°F for at least 30 minutes.
- Slide 1 pizza on parchment onto each hot baking sheet. Bake 8 minutes; reverse sheets. Bake pizzas until crusts are brown at edges and on bottom, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with chives.
Makes two 10-inch pizzas.
- Appetizers, Finger Foods
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon Sriracha (Asian chili sauce)
8 ounces fresh tuna, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh chives, plus 1-inch pieces for garnish
Gaufrettes or waffle-cut potato chips, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, soy sauce, and Sriracha.
- Add tuna and chives, and gently combine with a fork. (Tartare can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 hours.)
- Top each gaufrette with 1 tablespoon tuna tartare, and garnish with chives.
- Appetizers, Seafood
- North American
2 cups 1/4-inch-diced white bread
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
3 anchovy fillets, mashed
1 small garlic clove, smashed
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for garnish
7 Belgian endives
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, toss the bread with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the bread on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes, stirring once, until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, in the same bowl, using a spoon, mash the anchovies to a paste with the garlic and a pinch of salt. Whisk in the mayonnaise, lemon zest and lemon juice, then whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the 1/4 cup of grated cheese.
- Trim the endives and remove the 60 largest leaves from 6 of the heads. Stack the leaves and trim them to about 4 inches.
- Thinly slice the remaining endive, along with the trimmings of the 6 other heads (you should have about 3 cups), and toss with the dressing.
- Spoon the salad onto each spear and garnish with the croutons and grated cheese. Serve immediately.
Makes 5 dozen spears.
- Appetizers, Finger Foods
- North American