From Food and Wine magazine
Grilled Vegetable Salad
1 garlic clove, halved
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 large onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 small eggplants, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
Two 6-ounce zucchini, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
Two 6-ounce yellow squash, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
Freshly ground pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 large head romaine lettuce (1 1/4 pounds), quartered lengthwise
1/4 pound fresh goat cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- Light a grill. In a mortar, pound the halved garlic to a paste with 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and the lemon juice.
- In a small skillet, cook the pine nuts over moderate heat until toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Thread the onion slices onto two parallel 10-inch skewers. Put the eggplant, zucchini and yellow squash slices on 2 large rimmed baking sheets; brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the bell peppers and lettuce with olive oil.
- Grill the vegetables over a medium hot fire, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and just tender. The onions will take about 5 minutes per side; the eggplant, zucchini and squash, about 3 minutes per side; the peppers, about 3 minutes on each of 4 sides; the lettuce wedges, about 1 minute per side.
- Scrape the charred skin from the peppers, discard the stems and seeds and cut into strips.
- Put a lettuce wedge on each plate. Mound the vegetables on the lettuce and sprinkle with the cheese and toasted pine nuts.
- Pass the lemon vinaigrette at the table.