Isn't chicken a wonderful meat? Almost everyone eats chicken and almost anything can be done to chicken, how could you not love it? Chicken can be cooked hundreds of different ways and seasoned with hundreds more flavorings. However there are those people who get themselves into a chicken rut. You know who I'm talking about, those people who have one chicken dish that is their staple that they make over and over again until their special chicken dish becomes boring and tasteless. If you are one of these people, I have the recipe for you. It's time to break away from the hum-drum dullness of your lemon pepper chicken with pasta and it's time for a new technique (breading), a new pairing (bell peppers, almonds, and raisins), and a new flavor (balsamic vinegar). Roll up those sleeves, tie on that apron, and prepare yourself for a whole new taste experience. For the recipe, read more
2 large red bell peppers (about 3/4 pound)
2 large green bell peppers (about 3/4 pound)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
6 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 egg whites
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons water
- Cut bell peppers into 2 x 2 1/2-inch strips.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers; sauté 8 minutes. Add raisins; sauté 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup vinegar, sugar, salt, and black pepper; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in almonds. Set aside, and keep warm.
- Place each piece of chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Combine breadcrumbs and cheese in a shallow dish. Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge each chicken piece in flour, and dip in egg whites. Dredge chicken in breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until done.
- Remove from heat. Place the chicken and bell pepper mixture on a serving platter; set aside, and keep warm.
- Add 2 tablespoons vinegar and water to pan; stir with a wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Spoon mixture over chicken and bell pepper mixture and serve.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 288(30% from fat); FAT 9.5g (sat 2g,mono 4.9g,poly 1.7g); PROTEIN 31.3g; CHOLESTEROL 74mg; CALCIUM 73mg; SODIUM 253mg; FIBER 2.6g; IRON 2.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 19.4g