At my house we have a tradition that every Wednesday (well, just about every Wednesday) is sandwiches for dinner day. My husband and I used to be part of a pub trivia team and on game night (Wednesday) we would have to be at the pub with our thinking caps on and our stomachs full (yes, we could have ordered pub food, but we found that our scores were never as high when we did). Our team has since broken up and we no longer attend quiz night, but sandwiches on Wednesday has become a long standing tradition. After all, it's the middle of the week and a quick, easy, hot sandwich hits the spot. Who wouldn't love a hassle-free dinner with oh-so-yummy-oozing melted cheese? For tonight's sandwich recipe,
Cuban Sandwich 
From Whole Foods 
1 mini baguette (6 oz, whole grain, if available) cut in half and sliced open to make 4 halves
mayonnaise and Dijon mustard, to taste (optional)
4 very thin slices Black Forest or other lean deli ham
4 very thin slices deli smoked peppered turkey breast
4 very thin slices deli salami
1 large dill pickle, thinly sliced
4 very thin slices Swiss cheese
1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
2 thin slices purple onion
2 slices red pepper, raw or roasted
- Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle, or a double-sided sandwich maker such as a Foreman Grill.
- Spread mustard and mayonnaise as desired on each piece of the bread.
- Layer 2 slices each of the ham, turkey, salami, and cheese on 2 pieces of the bread.
- Layer even amounts of pickle between the meat and cheese.
- Top each with even amounts of spinach, purple onion, and red pepper.
- Using the top of the bread, make 2 sandwiches.
- Place them on the hot skillet or griddle. (If desired, you can use a small amount of butter on the grill).
- Lay a heavy iron skillet or other heavy skillet on top of the sandwich. (You may need to prepare one sandwich at a time). Flatten the sandwich to about 1/4 of its original size,
- Grill for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- If using a double-sided sandwich maker, grill for 3 to 4 minutes, watching carefully.
Nutrition Information: Per Serving (168g-wt.): 380 calories (150 calories from fat), 16g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 3g dietary fiber, 20g protein, 36g carbohydrate, 50mg cholesterol, 1310mg sodium