Today's Special is for all of the vegetarians out there who have been asking YumSugar and I to please feature more meatless recipes. Creamy and rich, this sandwich features Italian flavors (basil, mozzarella, roasted red peppers) and can be made quickly and efficiently. It's the perfect standby meal for one of those rushed nights when you are forced to eat dinner on the go. If you do not have an indoor grill the eggplant can be broiled for the same quick cooking effect. Use the best whole grain bread you can find, preferably from your local bakery, and you're in for a delicious dinner.
For the recipe, read more
2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 1/2-inch slices eggplant (about 1 small)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
8 slices whole-grain country bread
8 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
4 thin slices red onion
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine mayonnaise and basil in a small bowl.
- Using 1 tablespoon oil, lightly brush both sides of eggplant and sprinkle each slice with garlic salt. With the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, brush one side of each slice of bread.
- Grill the eggplant for 6 minutes, turn with a spatula, top with cheese, and continue grilling until the cheese is melted and the eggplant is tender, about 4 minutes more.
- Toast the bread on the grill, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches: Spread basil mayonnaise on four slices of bread.
- Top with the cheesy eggplant, red peppers, onion and the remaining slices of bread. Cut in half and serve warm.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 337 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrate; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 659 mg sodium. Nutrition bonus: Folate (28% daily value), Calcium (25% dv), Selenium (23% dv), Iron (15% dv). 2 Carbohydrate Servings