I love getting new magazines in the mail. The other day I received the latest issue of Everyday Food and surprise! it's a special "light issue" (just in time for all of our New Year's Resolutions). There are quite a few tasty looking treats in the magazine, but the one for a light chicken parmesan really stood out. I love chicken parmesan because it's so simple and can really make a dull chicken breast jump with flavor. And, it's a snap to throw together on even the busiest weeknights. To check out their take on a light chicken parmesan, read more
2 slices bread torn into pieces (they used whole wheat sandwich bread)
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp olive oil
1 large egg white
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6-8 oz each)
3/4 cup (3 oz) mozzarella (they used shredded part-skim)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 can (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes in purée
1 garlic clove, minced
coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F - rack in upper third
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside.
- Place bread, parmesan, oil, pinch of salt & pepper into food processor.
- Pulse until coarse crumbs form. Transfer to shallow bowl.
- Place flour in second shallow bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Place egg white in third shallow bowl and beat with a fork until frothy.
- Dip top side of chicken breast in flour, shake off excess.
- Dip same side in egg white, letting excess drip off, then into breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere (do not do other side).
- Repeat with remaining chicken and transfer, breaded side up, to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until breadcrumbs are browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with mozzarella. Return to oven and continue to bake for an additional 2-4 minutes (until cheese is lightly browned and chicken is opaque).
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, place tomatoes, breaking them up with your fingers. Add garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until sauce is thickened (6-8 minutes).
- Serve chicken with generous amount of tomato sauce.
Calories: 389 per serving