In terms of deliciously simple sandwiches the best, in my opinion, after the grilled cheese is the tuna melt. A quintessential American sandwich, the tuna melt is sublimely good tuna smashed with oozy cheese between two slices of crisped, buttery bread. It makes an excellent afternoon snack, fast & easy dinner, or late night treat. An advanced level of culinary skill is not necessary unless you want to get fancy and use homemade mayonnaise. For tuna melts two ways read more
1 can (6 oz.) tuna, drained, flaked
3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. chopped celery
8 slices white bread
8 slices cheddar cheese
8 tsp. vegetable oil spread
- Mix tuna, mayo and celery; set aside.
- Cover one bread slice with one piece of cheese, 1/4 of the tuna mixture and a second piece of cheese. Top with second bread slice. Repeat to make 4 sandwiches.
- Spread outsides of sandwiches evenly with vegetable oil spread.
- Cook in skillet on medium heat for 3 to 4 min. on each sides or until lightly browned on both sides.
Albacore Tuna and Artichoke Salad:
2 cups drained canned tuna
2/3 cup chopped artichoke hearts
1/4 cup sliced roasted red peppers
2 teaspoon minced lemon zest
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
Salt and pepper
Fresh Herb and Garlic Aioli:
3 egg yolks, plus 1 whole egg*
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons roasted garlic
1 lemon, juiced
2 cups olive oil
1 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh sage leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons minced thyme leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons minced rosemary leaves
Salt and pepper
8 slices kalamata olive bread
1 small red onion, sliced
4 slices provolone
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients for the salad. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- For the aioli: in a food processor combine first 5 ingredients. Turn on processor and slowly add the oils for emulsification. Add the herbs, and salt and pepper. This sauce is enough aioli for 10 sandwiches.
- Spread aioli on the slices of bread. Top with tuna salad, sliced red onion, cheese, and the other slice of bread.
- Grill on panini press for 3 to 5 minutes.