Any of these ingredients can easily be left out, especially the cheese or the condiments, but whatever you do, don't lose the third piece of bread in the sandwich: it helps keep everything stacked in place.
3 slices toasted white or wheat bread
1/2 avocado, sliced
3 slices smoked or roasted turkey
2 slices cheddar cheese
4 slices cooked bacon
1 tomato, sliced
1 leaf butter lettuce
4 toothpicks or decorative food picks
Vegetable or potato chips (optional), for serving
- Arrange toast side by side on a clean surface. Slather mayonnaise and mustard on one side of each piece of toast.
- On first piece of toast, spread and press avocado evenly. Place turkey over avocado, and then place two slices of cheddar cheese over bread.
- Next, place second slice of toast over cheese. Snap bacon in half and place it across toast. Lay sliced tomato over bacon, and then place lettuce over tomato. Finally, place third slice of bread on top, mayonnaise side facing down.
- Pin the layers of the sandwich together by evenly and securely piercing them with toothpicks, forming a diamond pattern. With a serrated knife, cut diagonally to left and diagonally to right to form four triangle pieces, each piece secured with a toothpick.
- Split sandwich between two plates; serve alongside chips, if desired.
Makes 1 large sandwich.
- Sandwiches, Main Dishes