Like sweet & sour mix, I always have a small bottle of simple syrup in my refrigerator because it is essential to making creative cocktails at home. As crucial as the cocktail shaker, simple syrup is merely a mixture of sugar that has been dissolved into water. The solution is cooked over low heat until clear and then boiled for a minute or so. It's an important ingredient in many drinks (like Hurricanes) because it is used to sweeten the mixture. Plain sugar, when added to an icy cocktail shaker with hard liquor, does not dissolve well into the liquids. However if the sugar is in liquid form, as it is in a simple syrup (sometimes called a sugar syrup), the drink will be smoothly and lightly sweetened. To make a simple syrup takes no time at all and you can easily infuse it with fresh herbs or fruits. For the recipe that will last for up to a month in the fridge, read more
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
- Put one cup of water in a small saucepan.
- Add two cups of sugar.
- Heat to a boil while stirring.
- Reduce heat and continue to stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Find a clean container that will hold at least a cup and a half.
- Using a funnel, pour liquid into container.
- Seal and store in refrigerator indefinitely.
- Use whenever a recipe calls for simple sugar or simple syrup.