When it comes to cupcakes, there's nothing like Magnolia's classic vanilla cupcake. It's the treat that started the cupcake craze — so we went inside their bakery in LA to learn the technique to making perfectly delicious cupcakes. Watch the video now and see how it's done.
The recipe in the video shows a mixing method that is more appropriate for larger batches. Home bakers should follow the recipe below for best results.
For the cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour, such as Aunt Jemima
1 1/4 cups cake flour, such as Pure as Snow
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, cubed
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
For the frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 box (4 cups) powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons whole milk
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Line 2 cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the self-rising flour, cake flour, and sugar. Using the paddle attachment, mix for 2 minutes on low speed. With the mixer on low speed add the butter one cube at a time, do not rush. Mix until it's a sand-like texture.
- Combine the milk and vanilla, and add 1/2 of the mixture to the batter. Scrape the bowl and mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly add the eggs and the rest of the milk mixture to the bowl on low speed. Scrape bowl and continue mixing for 1-2 minutes.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pans.
- Bake for 23 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting: Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla. Gradually add the powdered sugar one cup at a time. Scrape down sides of bowl often. When the mixture starts to thicken and appears dry add 2 tablespoons of milk. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy about 2-4 minutes. Add more milk as needed if you want a thinner consistency. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly.
- Frost the cupcakes with an offset spatula.
- Cupcakes, Desserts
- North American
- Makes 2 dozen cupcakes