1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or 1 vanilla bean, scraped
5 large eggs, separated
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1 cup plus scant 1/3 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
Whipped Raspberry Frosting, recipe below
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard muffin tins with cupcake liners; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla; beat to combine. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together both flours, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. With the mixer on low, add flour mixture; mix until well combined. Add sour cream; mix until well combined.
- In a clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Fill each muffin cup half full with batter. Transfer muffin tins to oven and bake until a skewer inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean, 20 to 24 minutes. Let cupcakes cool completely.
- Using an apple corer, make a hole in the top of each cupcake, taking care not to push the corer through the bottom; remove cake from hole. Fill a squirt bottle with lemon curd and squeeze curd into holes.
- Fit a pastry bag with a 3/8-inch plain round tip and fill with frosting. Pipe in a circular motion on top of each cupcake. Top with a raspberry.
Whipped Raspberry Frosting
2 cups fresh raspberries, rinsed
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons sugar
- Combine raspberries and sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium heat. Stir mixture mashing with a spoon until it's liquid, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in gelatin, continue to cook until dissolved. Remove from heat and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Refrigerate overnight.
- Beat heavy cream on high until stiff peaks form. Add the three tablespoons of sugar and beat until combined.
- With a wire whisk, mix about a third of the whipped cream into raspberry mixture mashing the raspberry gelatin mixture. Whisk in remaining whipped cream.