From Anna Monette Roberts, YumSugar
Mini Victorian Sponge Cakes
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature, plus more for greasing
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 can whipped cream or 1 batch of basic homemade whipped cream
2 8-ounce containers raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease 3 dozen mini muffin tins with butter. In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Using a standing mixer or a hand mixer with a large bowl, cream butter and sugar on medium-high for 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at at time, beating mixture thoroughly between each egg. Turn off mixer and use a wooden or metal spoon to fold in flour mixture thoroughly.
- Fill each muffin tin two-thirds of the way full, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick test inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cakes set for 2 minutes, then carefully remove them using a butter knife. Allow cakes to cool to room temperature before decorating.
- When cakes are cooled, dollop 1-2 tablespoons whipped cream on top of each cake and garnish with a raspberry.
Makes 3 dozen mini sponge cakes.