One of my favorite online pastimes is browsing recipes. Not just any recipes, but appetizers and pitcher drinks (yes, I am obsessed with cocktail parties). Since I'm partial to certain recipe databases, when I come across a preparation I've never seen before, like this watermelon sangria, I'm super excited. As I read it, getting more and more giddy by the minute, I wondered, how had I never seen it before? I went through the recipe rolodex in my brain.
There was nothing labeled watermelon sangria. I sent a link with the recipe to YumSugar asking her if it looked familiar. She had not seen it either. Thus, I made it the following day and received rave reviews. It was so refreshing and easy to drink that I made it again. And again. No joke, this watermelon sangria is my new favorite recipe! It's fruity, cooling, and addictive. Want to learn how it's done? Get the method now.
2 pounds seedless watermelon, peeled and cubed, plus 1/2 pound
1 bottle dry white wine
6 ounces vodka
4 ounces Cointreau or other triple sec
4 ounces Citrus Syrup, recipe below
- In a blender, puree the watermelon cubes. Pour through a fine strainer into a pitcher.
- Add the white wine, vodka, Cointreau and Citrus Syrup. Stir and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Stir again, then pour the sangria into ice-filled white wine glasses and garnish with the skewered watermelon balls.
6 ounces Simple Syrup
One 2-inch lemon zest strip
One 2-inch orange zest strip
- In a small saucepan, bring the Simple Syrup to a boil. Remove from the heat and add lemon and orange zest strips.
- Let cool, then refrigerate overnight. Strain the syrup into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
Makes 6 ounces.
- Drinks, Punch