While this White House soup didn't initially call for any toppings, I added a dollop of light sour cream and a drizzle of jalapeño olive oil to boost the soup's body and flavor. Serve this with a spring salad, French bread, and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc for a fresh and veggie-filled dinner. Get this simple recipe and read more.
1 large onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter
3 heads broccoli
6 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
1/2 cup light sour cream (optional)
4 tablespoons jalapeño-infused olive oil (optional)
For a vegetarian version, use vegetable stock in place of chicken broth.
- Sauté the onion, celery, and garlic in butter until translucent.
- Trim the broccoli into one-inch pieces and blanch them in salty water.
- Add the broccoli to the vegetable mixture.
- Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Simmer for 10 minutes then pass the mixture through a strainer, food mill, or blender.
- Season soup to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Top with sour cream and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve hot.
Serves four to six.
- Soups/Stews, Clear
Love this recipe? Check out more recipes from Michelle Obama and the White House.