Grilled Chicken, Apple, and Onion Sandwiches
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons prepared poultry spice rub
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion
1 large green apple (Granny Smith or similar)
4 wooden skewers
1 sweet baguette
Honey mustard, to taste
- Prepare chicken: Cut each breast into 8 large chunks, to get a total of 16 chicken pieces. Coat each piece evenly with spice rub, cover, and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Soak skewers in water for at least one hour.
- Preheat grill to 375°F (a medium-hot fire) or preheat oven to 425°F.
- Slice onion into 16 large, wedge-shaped chunks that are big enough to be skewered.
- Core apple and cut into 12 slices.
- Remove chicken from fridge and coat evenly with olive oil.
- On each skewer, spear 4 pieces of chicken, 3 slices of apple, and 4 pieces of onion, alternating ingredients.
- Place skewers on the grill, and cook until chicken is just cooked through and slightly charred, turning often, about 8 minutes. Or, arrange skewers on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until chicken is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the baguette into four quarters, then slice each quarter in half horizontally.
- To make each sandwich, spread a bit of mustard onto the bottom half of baguette, then arrange the ingredients from one kabob on the bread. Top with remaining baguette half.
Makes 4 sandwiches.