Truffled Grilled Cheese With Asparagus and Chicken
1/2 bunch fresh asparagus
4 slices of wheat bread
1/4 lb. thin-sliced cold-cut roasted chicken
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
6 very thin slices of truffle-infused Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Makes 2 sandwiches.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- After washing the asparagus, trim the thicker, rough ends and discard. Arrange the asparagus on a baking sheet and coat lightly with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Roast for about 10 to 15 minutes, until tender.
- In a small saucepan over very low heat, slowly heat the balsamic vinegar, stirring occasionally, until it's reduced by about two-thirds. Set aside and let cool.
- Coat one side of each slice of bread with the balsamic reduction sauce, spreading just enough to cover the surface of the bread.
- On each of the two bottom slices, divide the chicken and lay the slices flat over the balsamic spread.
- Evenly divide the asparagus between the two sandwiches and lay the spears side by side atop the chicken.
- Gently lay the thin slices of cheese on top of the asparagus, and cover each sandwich with the remaining two slices of bread, vinegar side down.
- Place in a panini press and cook for about five minutes, until cheese is melted and bread is lightly browned. (If you don't own a panini maker, you can place the sandwiches on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven, and cover with a cast-iron skillet to press. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes.)