Why are we talking about stuffing — a dish that practically screams Thanksgiving — in April? Well, if you think about it, it's really just a delicious, carb-heavy (in the best way possible) side that's fantastic as leftovers. Where this version differs from most stuffings is its relative lightness. Made with wild rice, brown rice, wild mushrooms, and just enough butter and olive oil to make it crave-worthy, it's the sort of stuffing that's not just at home as part of an indulgent holiday spread.
To make vegetarian, sub vegetable stock for the chicken stock.
1 cup wild rice
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
6 ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 large dried ancho chile, stemmed and finely chopped
1 cup brown basmati rice
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
Sherry vinegar, to taste
- Place wild rice in heavy medium saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover rice by 3 inches. Bring to boil and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until rice is almost tender, about 45 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter with 1/2 tablespoon oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add shiitakes and a few generous pinches of salt, and sauté until brown, about 7 minutes. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter with 1/2 tablespoon oil to the same pot; heat over medium-high heat. Add oyster mushrooms and a few generous pinches of salt, and sauté until brown, about 7 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with shiitakes.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon oil to same pot; heat over medium heat. Add chopped onion to pot with a few pinches of salt; sauté until golden and very tender, about 20 minutes. Add chile; stir 1 minute. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon oil to pot; add brown rice and stir 2 minutes.
- Add wild rice, broth, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer until all rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Fluff rice mixture with fork. Stir in mushrooms and parsley. Season to taste with sherry vinegar and more salt.
- Stuffing/dressing, Side Dishes
- North American
- 6-8 servings