Original recipe by PartySugar
Leftover Pantry Nachos
1 cup diced cooked chicken
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup low-fat milk
1 1/2 cups grated cheese (use whatever you have on hand, for mine I used orange cheddar and Monterey jack)
salt, pepper, cayenne pepper to taste
1/4 cup diced, pickled jalapeños
1 large handful of whole wheat tortilla chips
sliced black olives, mashed avocado, and sour cream, optional for garnish
- Mix the chicken and barbecue sauce in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir to combine. Heat until warmed through, 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the flour, whisk to combine, making a roux, and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Cook for 1 minute until mixture is thick and bubbling.
- Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and whisk in the cheese one small handful at a time. Whisk in all of the cheese and stir until smooth. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Stir in the jalapeños.
- Place a layer of tortilla chips on a serving plate. Top with the melted cheese. Spoon some of the barbecued chicken onto the cheesy chips.
- Repeat, topping with more cheese. Garnish with black olives. Dollop the avocado and sour cream in the middle and serve.