1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat together butter and granulated sugar in another bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in eggs until combined. Reduce speed to low, then add flour mixture and poppy seeds and mix until just combined.
- Transfer batter to cake pan, smoothing top, and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean and top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes, then invert onto rack.
- Whisk together confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a bowl until smooth. Pour glaze over warm cake, spreading it with a spatula to drizzle over edge. Let stand until glaze is set, about 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Cake, Desserts