Fall is almost here, which means that turning on the oven doesn't bring immediate fears of sweating. Now that the temperatures are cooling, we can warm up our kitchens! Roasting vegetables really brings out the flavor in produce, especially tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and broccoli. New aromas and tastes, such as nuttiness and sweetness, come out when you roast a food.
Transform boring boiled broccoli into a warmly toasted and seasoned treat by roasting it in the oven with garlic, lemon, olive oil, and a pinch of grated parmesan cheese. Tossed with zucchini noodles and some nutty farro, this light yet filling zucchini pasta dish screams pumpkin spice lattes and apple-picking . . . in skinny jeans!
Welcome to Autumn and a new, healthier you!
Keep reading for the recipe.
Zucchini Pasta With Farro, Parmesan, and Roasted Broccoli
Serving size: 1
Time to prepare: 5-7 minutes
Time to cook: 20 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons farro, dry
- 6 broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling on broccoli
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced and divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated and divided, plus more for garnish
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 large zucchini, spiralized into spaghetti noodles (Blade C on Paderno World Cuisine Spiral Vegetable Slicer)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 420ºF. Coat a baking tray with cooking spray. In a small saucepan, boil 1/4 cup of water. When the water is boiling, add in the farro and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until farro has absorbed the water and is fluffy. Monitor and add more water if needed. Set aside once done.
- Place the broccoli in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and half of the minced garlic. Toss to combine. Place the broccoli on the greased baking tray. Once the oven preheats, add in the broccoli and cook for 15-20 minutes, monitoring at 15 minutes to make sure the broccoli doesn't burn. When it is easily pierced with a fork and has browned, it is done. When almost done, take out, sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese, and place back in the oven to melt. Remove from the oven once cheese has melted and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil and remaining minced garlic to the pan. Cook garlic for about 1 minute and then add in the red pepper flakes. Cook pepper flakes for 30 seconds and then add in the zucchini noodles. Toss to coat the noodles and cook for about 2 minutes or until zucchini softens. Add in the 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Toss to combine and then add in the farro and broccoli. Toss to combine.
- Plate into a bowl. Top with shaved parmesan (optional) and enjoy!