Posts for May 15th 2008
This week I was really excited about experimenting with a fancy, new nacho recipe. However, when I looked in my fridge and realized that while I didn't have any feta or goat cheese — two components to my upcoming idea, I had 10 other types of cheese! Thus I decided to make these clean-out-the-cheese-drawer nachos instead. The funny thing is when I was eating them, I wished they were cheesier! This recipe is super simple and best served with a spicy salsa. To see how I made it, read more
The weather has warmed up and the festivals are in full swing! From coast to coast there are amazing things to check out. Whether it's cheese in Seattle or BBQ in New Jersey, there's a lot of food waiting to be gobbled up. So if you're wondering what to do this weekend, then look no further. There's something for every region this weekend.
- Nantucket, MA: Nantucket Wine Festival — May 14-18
- Buckhannon, WV: Strawberry Visions — May 14-18
- Alpharetta, GA: Taste of Alpharetta — May 15
- Memphis, TN: World Championship BBQ Contest — May 15-17
- Monterey, CA: Cooking for Solutions — May 16-17
- Intercourse, PA: Rhubarb Festival — May 16-17
- Washington, DC: Savor — American Craft Beer & Food Experience — May 16-17
- Magnolia, AR: Magnolia Blossom Festival and World Championship Steak Cookoff — May 16-17
- Dermott, AR: Crawfish Festival — May 16-17
- Fruita, CO: Mike the Headless Chicken Festival — May 16-17
- Seattle, WA: Seattle Cheese Festival — May 16-18
- Little Rock, AR: International Greek Food Festival — May 16-18
- Lodi, CA: ZinFest — May 16-18
- Taylorsville, KY: Gourd Festival — May 16-18
- Pasadena, TX: Strawberry Festival — May 16-18
- Paso Robles, CA: Paso Robles Wine Festival — May 17
- San Francisco, CA: Uncorked! Wine Festival — May 17
- New York, NY: Taste of Tribeca — May 17
- Norfolk, VA: Annual Beer Festival — May 17
There's a ton of other events — including homebrew and oysters! — so be sure to read more
Since most bridal showers are afternoon affairs, a heavy cocktail menu is not necessary. At Elena's bridal shower we'll set up a fruit spritzer buffet. Guests can have their choice of fruit purees and either mix them with sparkling water, club soda, or sparkling wine. A do-it-yourself bar is essential to this type of party where some will want to drink and others will not. Arrange ice, glasses, fruit purees, and mixers neatly on a side table.
Ahhh! It's Bacon Me Crazy!
Last week, we reported on a dude who ordered a 60-slice bacon cheese Whopper from Burger King. The fast-food chain lived up to its promise and made it his way, but bacon boy couldn't stomach the grease in the end and didn't finish. Lo and behold, we have a new contender in the race for high cholesterol.
Sometimes known as pastry flour, this high-starch, soft wheat flour has a fine texture. It makes baked goods like cakes more tender than regular flour because it has the least amount of gluten. Bleached cake flour has a bright white color.
The best substitute for cake flour is to use 7/8 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch to make 1 cup of cake flour.
Recently, writer Dan Savage posted about chocolate-covered bacon. The picture comes from Marini's in Santa Cruz, CA, and I happen to think it looks sort of tasty. I also happen to be pretty bummed that it wasn't available when I lived in Santa Cruz. I bet the combination of salty and sweet is amazing together. Besides bacon makes everything taste better, right? I know I'd devour a slice, how about you, would you eat this?
Ben was this week's booted contestant on Hell's Kitchen. When the season started, I honestly liked him and was hoping he would go a long way. However as the competition heated up, Ben's bullying, bickering attitude started to wear on the other chefs, Gordon Ramsay, and the viewing audience. Yesterday I had an interesting telephone conversation with the electrician — he's currently not cooking professionally in any way, shape, or form — to see what he had to say, read more
What Cereal Box Mascot Would Make the Best Movie Character? Yes, this is ridiculous, but, hey, it wasn't my idea! According to the Hollywood Reporter, there actually will be a computer-animated movie titled Cereal Heroes featuring cereal mascots who go on a high-stakes mission to save the world.