Posts for May 27th 2008
Depending on how much you like seafood, fresh-fish markets can be near paradise or unpleasantly stinky. Since I love just about any kind of ocean bounty, especially when it's fresh, I'm drooling over the photos of the Bergen, Norway, fish market that FinnLover recently posted in my Savory Sights group.
This was FinnLover's first visit to her new hometown fish market, which features live fish, high-end seafood dishes, and everything in between. According to FinnLover:
As you walk around the counters, the fishermen offer pieces of their product to taste, and everything is packed so the tourist can bring some stuff back home, like gravlax, smoked salmon, dried whale, peppered fish, caviar . . . There are also several kiosks that sell sandwiches, fish and chips, king crab legs, and warm dishes with salmon and shrimps.
Men are driven by sex. So the best way for women to get their men into the kitchen would be to stop having sex with them until they start to cook.
Oliver's tactic may be outlandish and unreasonable but it also may work. Being single, I don't have the chance to put his theory to practice but was wondering, what do you think about the idea?
Have you ever abstained from sex to get your man to cook?
We are so thrilled to announce that Sugar user carriefrances will be joining us tomorrow night at the Sugar exclusive screening of Sex and the City! The longtime user is a HUGE SATC fan, and we could not be more excited to meet her and shower her with gifts and a fabulous party among friends.
Carriefrances will be getting goodies from SATC sponsors like Vitaminwater, Swarovski, Mercedes-Benz, Bacardi Mango Mojito, SKYY Vodka, and SJP’s Lovely fragrance. Many attending the screening will also get a t-shirt from SJP's Bitten line from Steve and Barry's. The party will include prizes and drinks from the sponsors above, as well as Lotus Vodka Cosmos, wine from Ecco Domani, and yummy Kara's cupcakes for dessert. Obviously we are counting down the minutes until we can watch these four ladies on the big screen, but we'd like to thank all of you who entered the contest and attend the event. Hopefully there will be many more Sugar soirees in the future.
A few weeks ago I asked my dad if he could give me his recipe for goulash. I grew up eating this tomato-pasta-ground-meat goodness — which is nothing like Czech goulash — on a regular basis and was really craving it. However, when I asked him for it, he just laughed and said there was no real recipe. He tweaks it and makes it up each time, depending on what is available. So I went to the store, grabbed a few items, and made my own version.
The dish is easy enough for a weeknight meal, but hearty enough for a weekend. If you want to see how mine came together, read more
Creating a soothing and inviting bathroom that is clean and pleasant smelling is essential to any party's success. If you have a disgusting bathroom it won't matter how amazing the food is, guests will only remember the gross bathroom. Here's how you can take your bathroom from every day to party day:
- Start by cleaning it. Wipe down the mirror, clean out the sink, and wash the floors.
- Hang fresh towels or stack nice bathroom napkins near the sink.
- Make sure its stocked with essentials: toilet paper, tampons, Advil, Kleenex, etc.
- If you don't want your guests to use or see something, put it away in a safe, hidden place.
- Add a lush flower arrangement and light-scented candles.
- Set up an ipod with soothing music or turn a radio to the classic music station.
How do you make your bathroom a welcoming space? Share your tips with us below.
- Epicurious has a new map that will help you know which ingredients are in season at your local farmers markets.
- Epicurious has a new map that will help you know which ingredients are in season at your local farmers markets. — The Epi-Log
- When did the world of coffee get so slutty?— Chow
- Speaking of coffee, check out this hysterical list of the eight most annoying types of people you'll find in Starbucks. I'm totally number six! — Holy Taco
- Hot pink, zebra prints, and shiny disco balls make a fabulous look for a bachelorette party. — Hostess with the Mostess
- Purchase hard to find Thai produce and pantry items online.— The Kitchn
- Learn how to properly store beer. — SlashFood
- What signs do you look for when choosing a restaurant? — Simply Stated
- Fake a four-star restaurant dessert with this recipe for passion fruit souffle. — Chefs Gone Wild
This week I'm planning a Moroccan-themed dinner. All of my friends will be attending a big birthday bash on Saturday night, so I thought it would be fun to get together early and have a delicious dinner. Instead of sending invitations, I've called everyone to personally invite them to dinner.
The menu is simple and flavor-packed. To get the party started, I'll serve mini Moroccan lamb burgers with lemon yogurt sauce and Moroccan carrot goat cheese sandwiches with green olive tapenade. The main course will consist of a fragrant Moroccan chicken potato salad with olives.
For these tantalizing recipes, read more