Posts for April 29th 2009
Last Wednesday, Yum and I found ourselves in a setting that resembled heaven on earth: We were at a Spanish wine tasting with handsome accented pourers and buttery melt-in-your-mouth jamon Iberico. What we could not get enough of was Libalis, a melodic white wine blend from Northern Spain's Valles de Sadacia region. The majority of the grapes are Muscat with a small percentage of lesser-known white varietals, Viura and Malvasia, mixed in.
This refreshing white was incredibly aromatic, slightly sweet, and very floral. It's smooth, silky, and would pair excellently with fish. However, with a flavor that's almost tropical, this well-balanced white is also suited for sipping solo. If you are into tasting exotic wines, definitely seek out a bottle of Libalis.
I know cupcakes are trendy, but who knew they were so fashionable? For Mother's Day, fashion designer Rebecca Taylor is teaming up with Billy's Bakery on a pair of posh cupcakes. Available May 1, the Vanilla Twinkle (above) and Mocha Meow cupcakes were inspired by Rebecca Taylor's Spring/Summer 2009 runway collection. Is it just me, or does the Vanilla Twinkle remind you of a Tiffany box?
For more details on the cupcakes and to see the mocha version, read more
Movie Preview: Julie and Julia Ever since BuzzSugar read Julie and Julia, the story of a New York woman working and blogging her way through Julia Child's Mastering The Art of French Cooking, she's been curious to see how the movie would translate to film. We got a brief glimpse after this year's Oscars, but today the first full trailer is out, and it looks charming.
Sometimes serendipity leads me to sandwiches at the most surprising times — like when I once found myself at an antique mall, housed in an old grocery store, with a restaurant in the middle. I ordered the feta BLT, which turned out to be an unfussy yet decadent, creamy, and salty twist on the crispy classic. Luckily, the woman who owned the restaurant also had a cookbook, and I got my hands on the recipe.
I've been meaning to make this for a while now, so last week I did feta cream-cheese BLTs for dinner. Turns out, April is not only National Grilled Cheese Month, it's also BLT Month. Serendipitous, indeed. To celebrate the sandwich yourself, read more
- Which type of coffee pot is the perfect match for you? — Chicago Tribune
- Forget the gizmos, Michael Ruhlman suggests investing in a kitchen scale. — Los Angeles Times
- Food service companies have threatened to boycott Florida tomatoes if growers don't improve farm workers' wages and conditions. — Washington Post
- Restaurateurs have been showing appreciation for their regulars with extra-special perks. — Boston Globe
- Fava leaves are just as satisfying to eat as their legume counterparts. — San Francisco Chronicle
- Familiarize yourself with the right cooking techniques for inexpensive cuts of meat. — New York Times
- Italian Prosecco is inexpensive, wildly available, and better-tasting than ever. — Wall Street Journal
Have no time to plan an extravagant Mexican meal for Cinco de Mayo? No matter. I've got the perfect menu for a delicious dinner that's easy to put together — complete with a decadent dessert. Ice cream sundaes are ideal because they're fast and guests can help with the assemblage. This recipe expertly employs three simple flavors — ripe strawberries, creamy dulce de leche, and rich Mexican chocolate — to create one stunning dessert. Don't hesitate to get creative, the spicy chocolate sauce is scrumptious slathered over any combination of ice cream and berries. Learn the technique and read more