From Michelle Anna Jordan
Potato-Cheddar Chowder With Fresh Sage and Sausage
1 Spanish-style chorizo sausage
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, minced
1 carrot, peeled and minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon pimenton picante (hot Spanish paprika)
3 pounds potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and thinly sliced
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
12 ounces aged cheddar cheese, grated
Black pepper in a mill
8 to 10 fresh sage leaves, minced
Whole sage leaves, for garnish
- Take the sausage from its casing, set it into a heavy soup pan set over medium heat, crumble it with a fork and cook until it loses its raw color. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked sausage to a bowl; set it aside.
- Return the pan to medium low heat, add the olive oil, onion and carrot and saute gently until soft and fragrant, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the garlic, saute 2 minutes more, add the pimenton and season with salt. Add the potatoes and stock, increase the heat to medium high and when the liquid boils, reduce the heat so that it simmers gently.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 7 to 8 minutes. Use an immersion blender to puree about half the potatoes. Stir thoroughly.
- Return the cooked sausage to the pan, add the cream and heat through. Add the cheese and stir as it melts. Remove from the heat without letting it boil.
- Taste, correct for salt, if necessary, and season generously with black pepper.
- To serve, ladle into soup plates, sprinkle minced sage on top, garnish with a sage leaf or two and serve immediately.