Posts for March 2nd 2010
The result wasn't too good to be true, but it was admittedly way too easy. If you can chop vegetables and place them with meat in a bowl, then you can make a St. Patrick's Day spread of meltingly tender corned beef, braised cabbage, and root vegetables. Consider it your veritable pot o' gold — just remember not to peek! For the recipe, read more.
4 slices (3/4 inch thick each) pound cake
1 1/2 cups softened ice cream
3 egg whites
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup sugar
- Using a cookie cutter or knife, trim 4 slices of pound cake (3/4 inch thick each) to snugly fit bottoms of four (6-ounce) ovenproof custard cups. Divide 1 1/2 cups softened ice cream among lined cups.
- In a mixing bowl, beat 3 egg whites with a pinch of salt to soft peaks. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff and glossy; mound over ice cream. Freeze 1 hour or up to 1 week.
- To serve, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Transfer cups to a baking sheet; let sit 10 minutes. Bake until lightly browned (watch carefully), 2 to 4 minutes.
- Desserts, Ice cream
- North American
- Charleston, SC: Charleston Wine & Food Festival — March 4-7
- Plant City, FL: Florida Strawberry Festival — March 4-14
- Shell Beach, CA: World of Pinot Noir — March 5-6
- Dallas, TX: Savor Dallas — March 5-6
- Albuquerque, NM: Fier Foods and BBQ Show — March 5-7
- Bryan, TX: Brazos Valley Ballpark Beer Fest — March 6
- Orlando, FL: Festival of Chocolate — March 6-7
- Tempe, AZ: Great Arizona Beer Festival — March 6-7
- Medora, IN: National Maple Syrup Festival — March 6-7
For corned beef and cabbage:
4 pounds lean raw corned beef brisket
3 tablespoons pickling spice (often included with brisket)
1 medium rutabaga, halved and cut into wedges
1 pound large carrots, cut into 4-inch pieces
1-1/4 pounds large fingerling potatoes
1 leek, white and light-green parts only, cut into 3-inch pieces
1/2 head Savoy cabbage, cut into wedges
For horseradish cream:
1 cup sour cream
6 tablespoons prepared white horseradish
1 tablespoon finely chopped dill pickle
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives or green onion tops
- Prep the corned beef and vegetables: Place the corned beef in a large slow cooker and scatter the pickling spices on top. Layer the rutabaga, carrots, potatoes and leek in the cooker (in this order for even cooking). Add enough hot water (4 to 5 cups) to cover the meat by at least 1 inch, put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high, 7 to 8 hours.
- Make the horseradish cream: Whisk all horseradish cream ingredients together in a small bowl to blend. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Make the cabbage: Remove the meat and vegetables from the slow cooker and keep warm. Put the cabbage in a microwave-safe dish with 2 cups cooking liquid from the slow cooker, cover and microwave until tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Slice the corned beef and serve alongside the slow-cooked vegetables, cabbage and 1-1/2 cups horseradish cream.
- Main Dishes, Beef
Last week I showed you how I've organized the kitchen cabinets in my new studio. Now I want you to share your kitchen with us! Whether you've got an amazing spice rack or simply a beautifully arranged baking shelf, like YumSugar's shown here, snap a photo. Then upload it to the Savory Sights group in the YumSugar Community.I'll be featuring the most inspiring kitchens here on YumSugar, so start sharing now! Be sure to read this participation tutorial to learn more about uploading photos. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us because we'd love to see you join the YumSugar Community.
The Oscars are just a few days away, and we have everything you need for the big night! First, check out our brand-new printable ballot — download by clicking here. It's the perfect addition to your Oscar night, whether you're having a big bash or just want to compete with your friends. Plus, Yum has all the details on the Governors Ball menu and party planning tips for your own Oscars bash.
You, too, can be a winner: if you've yet to fill out my Oscar ballot, then you're missing out! You could win a huge DVD prize package, so be sure pick your choice in each and every category to be eligible to win. Need help choosing? Get hints with my category breakdowns.
The grand prize includes limited-edition items from four Oscar nominated films: Up in the Air, Star Trek, The Lovely Bones, and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, courtesy of our friends at Paramount Pictures! That's not all — the winner will also receive the ultimate Oscar movie collection: a 30-plus DVD package from Paramount of past Academy Award-winning films including such favorites as American Beauty, Gladiator, Forrest Gump, Ghost, The Godfather, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, Sunset Boulevard, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Saving Private Ryan, There Will Be Blood, Titanic, Love Story, Roman Holiday, Fatal Attraction, Witness, Romeo and Juliet, and much, much more!
All you have to do to enter is click here and start making your Oscar winner picks. You must be a registered member of the PopSugar Network to join in, and if you're not a member yet, that's OK: just go here to sign up. Check out the official rules here, and you have until noon PST on March 7 to enter — so start predicting your winners now!