1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup stone-ground cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 ounces (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups (5 1/2 ounces) grated Parmesan
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Lemon Butter, at room temperature, recipe follows
3 cups baby arugula
10 ounces smoked salmon or prosciutto
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the butter. Using fingertips or a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Stir in the Parmesan and green onions. Add the buttermilk and olive oil. Stir until the mixture forms a dough.
- Drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet in 12 equal-sized pieces. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until golden. Cool the biscuits for 10 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Slice each biscuit in half and spread the bottom half with 1 teaspoon of lemon butter. Add some arugula leaves and place a small slice of smoked salmon on top. Add the top half of the biscuit and serve.
Makes 12 sandwiches.
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 lemon, zested
In a small bowl, mash the butter and lemon zest together using a fork. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Makes 1/2 cup.
- Appetizers, Finger Foods
- North American