Posts for September 10th 2010
4 cups shredded green cabbage (from head cabbage)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
Vegetable oil, for grilling
4 striped bass fillets (or other firm-fleshed fish, such as tuna, tilapia, or salmon), 4 to 6 ounces each
8 thick slices sandwich bread, such as brioche or country-style white
- In a bowl, toss cabbage with 2 teaspoons salt; let stand 20 minutes. Press between layers of paper towels to remove excess liquid. Toss cabbage in a clean bowl with celery, onion, mayonnaise, vinegar, and caraway seed and season with pepper.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grates. Pat fish dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper and brush with oil. Grill fish on one side until opaque at edges, 2 to 4 minutes. Using a thin spatula, flip fish and cook until opaque throughout, 1 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Clean and lightly oil hot grates; grill bread until lightly toasted, 5 to 10 seconds per side. Assemble sandwiches with fish and cabbage slaw.
- Main Dishes, Fish
- North American
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/2 cup large pimiento-stuffed olives (about 12)
1/4 cup unsalted roasted almonds
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
4 6-ounce pieces striped bass, cod, or halibut fillet
Kosher salt and black pepper
- In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, place the parsley, olives, almonds, lemon juice and zest, and 2 tablespoons of the oil. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped, 3 to 4 times.
- Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the fish with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook until golden brown and opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve with the olive relish.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 321, Fat 19g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 140mg, Protein 33g, Carbohydrate 5g, Sugar 1g, Fiber 2g, Iron 3mg, Calcium 71mg.
- Main Dishes, Fish
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
Did you stick around to check out all of our goings-on this week? Here's to finding out!Take the Quiz
Boy, does Martha know what she is talking about: this was one of the best ice creams I've ever tasted. It's creamy, but sorbet-like, tangy, and rich. One guest described it like frozen pound cake. Another simply could not stop mmm-ing. And me? I'm still dreaming of this lusciously wonderful ice cream. Although you need an ice cream maker, the recipe is shockingly easy. Learn it when you read more.
- Don't dump away that pickle juice!
- Don't dump away that pickle juice! — Chow
- El Bulli's Ferran Adrià will post his research lab recipes online. — Serious Eats
- Will Top Chef 8 be Top Chef: All-Stars? — Grub Street NY
- What a wine label says about its maker. — Salon
- A 422-foot-long California roll broke records, but had to be thrown away. — Eater
- Must-try: Turn oversized crostini into a meal. — The Kitchn
- Keep Summer alive with a preppy beach party. — Hostess with the Mostess
One of the best dinners I've had in a long time, courtesy of my husband: fresh, homemade fettuccine topped with early girl tomatoes from the farmers market, garlic, olive oil, fresh basil, and shaved parm. So simple, and so insanely good!
Get the recipe when you keep reading.
New Balance believes that we can feel good as we become addicted to the unexpected pleasures of being active and eating well. Now we want to find out how you keep your life balanced and indulgences in check.
We will be posting a series of questions over the next five weeks asking for your tips to a balanced life — this means FIVE chances to win! At the end of the contest, one balance-tip-submitter will be selected to win the grand prize (aka checking into the ultimate in indulgence and balance: a spa weekend getaway)!
Have you mastered the BF vs. BFF balancing act? If so, help a sista out! How do you balance a social life with your relationship? Dare to share your balancing tips below and be automatically entered for a chance to win a $250 gift card to shopnewbalance.com and the spa getaway weekend!