Posts for January 21st 2011
8 slices of whole-wheat bread, toasted
1 jar mayonnaise, for spreading
12 slices of thick-cut bacon, cooked in a microwave or in the oven
2 large tomatoes, cut in 1/2-inch slices
8 leaves lettuce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- On a clean work surface, arrange the toasted pieces of bread. Spread each one with a generous slather of mayonnaise. Top four pieces of bread with bacon. Next, top with lettuce, and then with the tomatoes. Season everything with salt and freshly ground pepper. Top each BLT with another slice of bread, mayonnaise-side down. Slice each sandwich in half, across the diagonal, and enjoy!
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- North American
- 4 sandwiches
1 corn tortilla, cut into thin strips
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 small yellow onion, diced small
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 to 1 teaspoon chipotles in adobo, chopped
1-3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn
4 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Diced avocado, fresh cilantro, and lime, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss tortilla with 1 teaspoon oil; season with salt. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; season with salt. Cook until onion softens, about 3 minutes. Add chipotle and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Add corn and cook until tender, 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook until opaque throughout, 1 minute. Serve soup with tortilla strips and desired toppings.
- Soups/Stews, Clear
2 ounces whiskey
3/4 ounce fresh-squeezed Meyer lemon juice
3/4 ounce egg white
1 generous teaspoon of honey
Lemon twist, optional for garnish
- Combine all of the ingredients, except the lemon twist, in a cocktail shaker. Close and dry-shake (with no ice), vigorously for at least 15 seconds.
- Open the shaker, fill with ice, and shake again for at least another 30 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled champagne flute, garnish with a lemon twist, and enjoy!
Makes 1 drink.
- Drinks, Cocktails
- North American