- Casa's craving creative wall art and clever holiday ornaments
- Buzz is amped for Young Adult and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
- Savvy's keeping a close eye on spending and budgeting for 2012
- Bella's in love with diamond nails and nude palettes
- Tres is reading The Magic Room and Love and Leftovers
- Lil's loving pirate checkers and travel-sized games
- Fab's fawning over crystal necklaces and Brian Atwood booties
- Geek's giddy for Instagram prints and pocket projectors
- Fit's getting in shape with skiing gear and stand-up paddleboards
- Yum's enjoying cozy coffee mugs and delicious pecan brittle
Posts for December 1st 2011
Thanksgiving is over and it was delicious, but now December is here, and we're headed full steam ahead toward the holidays. We've got quite a culinary wish list, and we thought we should share it with you. From awesome bottle stoppers to pecan butter for charity, our must-have list for December is eccentric and exciting! We sure hope Santa puts us on his "nice" list this year. Click through to see our picks!
What's your favorite serving platter? Do you offer food on wooden cutting boards?
How do you get a fun and effective workout at home? With your Wii and Zumba® Fitness 2! The smash hit dance-fitness party is back to amp up the experience with 32 all-new routines, customizable workouts, and electrifying tracks by Pitbull, Nicole Scherzinger, and more. And what's better than getting to work out at home? Working out with friends at home! You can party with up to four players as you learn 24 different dance styles from superstar Zumba instructors. So get your Wii Remote ready because you're about to show those holiday feast calories who's the boss! Buy it now, here.
Don't miss the video below to see what the buzz is all about.
©2011 Majesco Entertainment Company. All rights reserved. Zumba®, Zumba® Fitness and the Zumba Fitness logos are registered trademarks of Zumba Fitness, LLC. Used with permission. Developed by Zoe Mode.
- A guide to how drunk you can get at your office holiday party — Grub Street NY
- The James Beard Awards have new categories this year, like outstanding bar program — Eater
- What it takes for a farmer to be USDA-certified organic — Food Republic
- Now you can sing the "Pizza Is a Vegetable" song — YouTube
- Check out LivingSocial's largest-ever fast-food daily deal — HuffPost Food
- Update pasta with pimiento-stuffed olives — MyRecipes
- Homemade mayo: is it worth the effort? — Bon Appétit
According to Ray Isle, executive wine editor for Food & Wine, when it comes to Beaujolais — especially Beaujolais Nouveau! — you should buy it right after Thanksgiving. Beaujolais Nouveau, that unaged red that's the first of the harvest in the northern hemisphere, is most anticipated when it's first released the third Thursday of November, and its bright, fruity flavors make it a popular part of the Thanksgiving meal. But Beaujolais Nouveau, which is meant to be enjoyed immediately, shouldn't be kept into the New Year, so it's quickly marked down to keep it flying off shelves.
You might be surprised to hear that bubbly is discounted this time of year, but according to Isle, sparkling wine has major discounts during the holiday season as well. The important thing to note is timing: "There are big Champagne markdowns until two weeks before Christmas," he reminded me at a New York City Wine & Food Festival seminar.
With so much holiday entertaining on the horizon, it makes sense for many of us (myself included!) to stock up now. Where have you spotted wine discounts recently?
It seems we're all about ways to use up cranberries and cranberry sauce over here. FreshTart has provided us with a great way to use up leftover Thanksgiving cranberry sauce. The result is seriously mouthwatering muffins.
As I mentioned below, I had the pleasure of chatting all things leftovers on Saturday morning, on the Fresh & Local radio show, with host Susan Berkson and Mike Madison of local hip hop group Unknown Prophets. While Mike is a musician by trade, he is also a fantastic cook. His passion for teaching children about good food is completely contagious. We had a great time talking about cooking fresh food, reaching out to chefs like Mike DeCamp at La Belle Vie for ideas and tips, and how involving children in meal preparation is The Way to encourage them to try new and different foods.
Since I had a nice amount of cranberry sauce leftover, I made up a batch of muffins and took them with me to AM950. Despite the fact that I forgot to put sugar in them — I baked them at 6:30 am, hey — the muffins got the thumbs up from Mike and Susan, and from my family, to such a degree that I've made them twice more.
Embrace the giving spirit of the season and surprise your co-workers with a sweet treat. Everyone enjoys an extra cookie or two over the holidays, and here are 10 ideas for cookies to bring to work. You'll likely become the most popular person in the office!
Thanksgiving was almost a week ago, and we're still stuffed. We keep craving light, fresh meals. Thankfully, Cheese Please has provided us with a colorful quinoa dish!Healthy quinoa is topped with a ginger lime shrimp and accented with crunchy yellow corn and bright red pepper. The flavors are bold yet taste fresh and simple.