- Buzz is banking on Mr. Sunshine, Just Go With It, and Hall Pass
- Fab's feeling checkered prints, heart details, and red pants!
- Bella's banishing dry skin with rich moisturizers and sugar scrubs
- Geek's got their eye on Little Big Planet 2 and Casio watches
- Fit's getting heart smart with new gadgets and pink grapefruit
- Tres's tackling Spousonomics and Split-Second Persuasion
- Lil's embracing Valentine's Day with cootie catchers and puppet love
- Casa's keeping cozy in Diane von Furstenberg's new home collection
- Yum's indulging in decadent chocolate and pisco drinks
- Savvy's reevaluating finances and going BYOB for the Super Bowl
- Pet's prepping for Puppy Bowl 2011!
Posts for February 1st 2011
When it comes to Super Bowl Sunday, I like to serve a messy, meaty meal such as burgers, sloppy Joes, or my current favorite, these meatball sandwiches. Layers of marinara sauce, melted cheese, and flavorful meatballs come together beautifully in a lightly toasted brioche bun. Although this can be made with store-bought marinara sauce, it tastes even better when you make your own. Assemble the meatballs and sauce up to a day in advance, then warm while you're watching the second quarter. Interested in cooking this finger-licking good dish? Keep reading for the recipe.
For the sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaves
1/3 cup red wine
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
For the meatballs
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground veal
1/2 lb. ground pork
1/2 small onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1 cup bread crumbs
1 large egg
For the sandwiches
4-6 sandwich rolls
1 1/4 cups shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Small handful of arugula, optional for garnish
- Make the sauce: In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally until the onion is soft and the garlic is fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf, wine, and sugar, and cook for 3-4 minutes until the wine is almost evaporated.
- Add the tomatoes and stir to combine. Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the meatballs: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl combine, the ground meat, minced onion and garlic, red pepper flakes, fresh oregano, cheese, breadcrumbs, and eggs. Mix well with your hands to incorporate the seasonings into the ground meat. Once combined, take a heaping tablespoon of the mixture into your hands and form a small ball that's a little bigger than a quarter in diameter. Place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Repeat with remaining meat until all of it's formed into balls.
- Bake the meatballs for 12 minutes until they are juicy and cooked all the way through. Add the meatballs to the simmering sauce.
- To assemble the sandwiches: preheat the broiler. Slice the sandwich rolls in half lengthwise. Place on a baking sheet. Cover each roll bottom with shredded fontina or mozzarella. Cover each roll top with parmesan cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy 2-3 minutes. Remove and top the bottoms with 4-6 meatballs each. Sprinkle with arugula (if using) and cover with the roll top. Enjoy immediately!
Baked Eggs in Ham Cups
12 thin slices of deli ham (round)
1/2 cup of your favorite cheese (I used parmesan)
1/2 cup diced scallions
Fresh cracked Sea Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Lay a piece of ham in each hole creating a little ham cup. Crack one egg into each hole and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake the eggs for about 12 minutes . . . until the white is firm and the yolk is still nice and runny.
- Carefully remove each egg from the muffin tin and top with grated cheese and scallions. Serve hot!
Phew, hard to believe that Wintery January is already behind us! We don't know about you, but we're excited for February. With the Super Bowl, Valentine's Day, and the Oscars, there are plenty of reasons to cook good food and celebrate with loved ones. At the start of each month, we like to highlight the products we are currently obsessed with. Here are our must haves for the next 28 days.
- How do you feel about communal tables? — Inside Scoop SF
- Do you know how much sugar you consume? It could be a lot more than you think. — Eater
- Oprah and her 378 staffers are doing a week-long vegan challenge. — Huffington Post Food
- Learn how Snoop Dogg makes seven-layer dip. — The Feast NY
- Are you interested in Martha Bakes, Martha Stewart's instructional baking show? — Fork in the Road
- Watch Peta's new porn-tastic veggie video. — Grub Street SF
- Why the farm lunch is a necessity. — The Atlantic
- Must make: chocolate cupcakes with maple cream cheese frosting and bacon streusel! — Endless Simmer
Source: Flickr User bhamsandwich
Although Starbucks's instant coffee line, VIA, has been sold nationwide for over a year now, the coffee conglomerate wants more consumers to taste it. So much so that it's launched a new promotion, Taste Promise, encouraging coffee drinkers to try VIA.
If you don't like it, Starbucks will send you a free 12-ounce bag of ground coffee. To participate in the campaign, which started today and runs until August, Starbucks drinkers must mail in a proof of purchase of the VIA along with a downloadable form. In four to six weeks, a bag of free coffee will arrive at your doorstep.
Do you drink VIA? Are you interested in the Taste Promise?
The Super Bowl is this weekend, and it's time to start thinking about a menu! Whether you're having a crowd over or simply watching the game with a significant other, it's fun to make a special meal packed with game day eats. To inspire you, I've scoured through all of our recipes and come up with a winning menu. It has got two dips, a hearty sandwich, and a decadent dessert, so start clicking for the recipes.