Posts for April 22nd 2011
Butter, softened at room temperature
2 slices brioche, whole wheat, or sourdough bread (3/4-inch thick)
2 slices cheddar cheese
4 or 5 potato chips
2 slices swiss cheese
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle to medium. Liberally butter both sides of the bread slices. Place two slices of cheddar on one piece of bread; add the potato chips in the middle. Place two slices of swiss on the other piece of bread, and put the bread slices together.
- Place the sandwich on the skillet or griddle and cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese melt together, 3 to 5 minutes a side. Cut them in half diagonally and serve.
Makes 1 sandwich.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- North American
Did you keep up with everything that was going on? Let's find out.Take the Quiz
Happy Friday — and Earth Day! In honor of Mother Nature's biggest day of the year, I'm trying to consume less meat. Whether you're a vegetarian yourself or just hoping to reduce your carbon footprint, I encourage you to do the same. For some enjoyable meatless options today — or any day! — keep reading.
- Toast to Earth Day with five eco-friendly cocktails.
- Toast to Earth Day with five eco-friendly cocktails. — Huffington Post Food
- Expect prices at McDonald's to go up very soon. — Bloomberg
- Five Guys and In-N-Out lead a better burger revolution. — NPR
- Meet Google Offers, the latest Groupon clone. — Eater
- Watch the likes of Heidi Montag open an eatery on VH1's Famous Food. — Slashfood
- Guess what? Table-to-farm is the new farm-to-table. — AP
- A week in the life of Mario Batali. — Grub Street NY
- Just in time for the royal wedding: recipes fit for kings. — Saveur
The key is to cook each of the elements (potatoes, asparagus, salmon) for different amounts of time. Start with the potatoes, then add the asparagus, and finally the salmon. It's not as simple as a chicken, but it's a delicious and sophisticated meal that's perfect for a celebratory occasion like Easter. Keep reading for the uncomplicated and rewarding recipe.
But I also managed to squeeze in a few questions from YumSugar readers, who chimed in over Twitter and Facebook with questions for the chef about his day-to-day cooking conventions, and what he puts together for a quick and dirty meal.
The chef and new face of Great Grains admits he maintains a rather healthy lifestyle (after all, it's hard work being easy on the eyes!). He shared four steps to eating better at home; see them when you keep on reading.
It's easy to create a beautiful tablescape for an Easter brunch: simply use the holiday's iconic symbols (eggs, baskets) and colors (pastels). Cover the serving table with a yellow table cloth ($120) and offer the food on large white platters ($70). Throw in striped cocktail napkins ($3) and colorful plates ($2.50) and glasses ($12). Add a few Easter baskets ($4) and a gorgeous bouquet of flowers and call it a day!
How are you decorating for Easter?
Want to celebrate Earth Day and save a few bucks at the same time? Then head over to Starbucks today where you can score free coffee. Simply bring in any reusable mug or travel container in participating US and Canada stores between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m., and get a cup of joe on the house.
Don't drink coffee? Tea qualifies, too. Forgot your travel cup? Ask for your coffee in one of Starbucks's "for here" mugs — or buy one of their reusable cups, on sale for 20 percent off, then get 10 cents off your drink purchases when you show it throughout the year.
"We want to encourage and reward those of you who use tumblers or travel mugs in your daily routines," Starbucks said. "In 2010, people brought their own tumblers into our stores more than 32 million times, keeping nearly 1.45 million pounds of paper out of landfills."
That's a lot of would-be landfill! Starbucks has set a carbon footprint goal and hopes to beat its record of 1.2 million Earth Day participants last year. Will you take advantage of today's promotion?
Source: Flickr User Jamison_Judd
Merrell is giving away $300 to three lucky winners, so don't forget to tell us where your feet would lead you if you had your choice of an outdoor adventure — think big or small! By logging in to PopSugar and leaving a comment here, you'll be automatically entered to win, and how nice does a $300 shopping spree sound?
Better yet, Merrell has an amazing giveaway of its own! By trying on a pair of Merrell Barefoot, you'll be entered to win one of three exciting trips that are sure to knock your socks off! The contest is almost over, so don't forget to leave a comment here and to stop by an authorized Merrell retailer near you. Good luck!