The pineapple provides a nice sweetness, so no extra sugar is necessary. There's four ounces of alcohol in this drink, but thanks to the pineapple juice, it doesn't taste too strong! If you prefer a mojito with a little effervescence, top it off with sparkling water or soda. You've got to make this beverage: here's the recipe.
Posts for August 12th 2011
1/4 cup fresh citrus juice (lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs (parsley, oregano, basil, cilantro, rosemary, mint, tarragon, etc.)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
8 chicken breasts (skinless boneless or with skin and bones — whatever kind you prefer)
- Whisk together citrus juice, herbs, garlic, 1/2 tablespoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl and add oil in a slow stream, whisking.
- Generously season the chicken breasts, on both sides, with salt and black pepper.
- Prepare gas or charcoal grill. When you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for 3 to 4 seconds, sear chicken breasts (in batches if you have to) over coals or high heat, uncovered, turning once, until well browned, 6 to 8 minutes total, then transfer as cooked to tray. Put all browned chicken breasts on side of grill with no coals underneath or indirect heat and cook, covered with lid, turning occasionally, until just cooked through (the meat, when opened slightly, will be moist but no longer pink), 12 to 15 minutes more.
- Transfer breasts to bowl with citrus herb dressing and turn to coat, then transfer to platter and enjoy.
- Main Dishes, Poultry
- North American
We launched our new PopSugar iPad app, so now you can experience PopSugar Network in HD and enjoy amazing full-screen galleries, flip the pages just like a magazine, and easily share stories with friends on Facebook and Twitter. And to celebrate, we want to send you, a guest, and a new PopSugar-loaded iPad 2 all the way to Mexico!
That's right — thanks to our friends at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort and Spa and Virgin America, you could experience the ultimate Cabo getaway! After you jet away on Virgin America, you will have the amazing experience of the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort and Spa, which offers an all-inclusive vacation experience with private beaches, gourmet dining, tequila tastings, and more — it's truly the ultimate vacation destination. Just think, you and your guest could be relaxing on a private beach in Cabo reading PopSugar using the PopSugar iPad app in no time. To enter for your chance to win, just:
- Salad: Arugula (or some other green, like watercress), feta, and watermelon salad has popped up on so many restaurant menus it could practically be considered a classic salad! Other salad ingredients that pair well with watermelon are jicama, mint, red onion, olives, tomatoes, goat cheese, radishes, basil, cucumber, avocado, and fennel. Try adding watermelon slices to Caprese salad: it tastes wonderful with balls of fresh mozzarella.
- Seafood: The brightness of watermelon complements many kinds of seafood from squid to swordfish to crab.
- Cocktail: When pureed and strained, watermelon juice is a refreshing ingredient in many cocktails, specifically drinks that have a little spice like this chipotle-rimmed tequila beverage.
- Grill it: Earlier this Summer, Mark Bittman, columnist at The New York Times, blew me away with his recommendation for grilled watermelon burgers! If that's a little too adventurous for you, grill watermelon and add it to a salad.
Do you use watermelon in savory dishes? Share your techniques with us below!
What's cold, creamy, and buttery? Butterscotch ice cream! If you've never made butterscotch before, don't be intimidated; it's much easier than making caramel. You simply put brown sugar, butter, and vanilla in a saute pan and heat it until the mixture magically turns into a rich golden brown syrup. The ice cream base is made in the traditional custard method with egg yolks, cream, and half and half. Like most ice cream recipes, you'll need to get started a couple of days before you want to enjoy it. It's worth the effort especially when served with peach pie. Read more to look at the recipe.
3 1-inch chunks of pineapple
4 lime wedges, from one half of a lime
8 mint leaves
3 oz rum (recommended: Brugal Añejo Rum)
1 oz triple sec
1 oz pineapple juice
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the pineapple chunks, lime wedges, and mint leaves.
- Fill the shaker with rum, triple sec, and pineapple juice. Add ice.
- Shake and serve in a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with mint sprig.
Makes 1 drink.
- Drinks, Cocktails
- North American
- 50 inspiring omelet filling ideas.
- 50 inspiring omelet filling ideas. — KitchenDaily
- You might still have a chance to dine at El Bulli. — The Daily Meal
- Nonshocker: Gen Y eaters prefer Chipotle to Subway. — New York Daily News
- What makes sticky rice sticky? — Food Republic
- Should critics wear microphones? — Grub Street Chicago
- The 10 craziest things Fabio Viviani said on Jimmy Fallon. — Eater
- How to make Italian-style fried bocconcini balls. — TLC
- Everything you needed to know about cooking with anchovies. — FN Dish
Source: Flickr User nathanmac87
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
2 cups half-and-half (light cream)
6 large egg yolks
- In a 1- to 2-quart pan over medium heat, stir brown sugar, butter, and vanilla until butter is melted, sugar is dissolved, and mixture is bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup whipping cream until smooth; remove butterscotch mixture from heat.
- In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, combine remaining 1 cup whipping cream and the half-and-half; bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat egg yolks to blend. Whisk 1/2 cup of the warm cream mixture into egg yolks, then pour egg yolk mixture into pan with cream. Stir constantly over low heat just until mixture is slightly thickened, 2 to 4 minutes. Immediately remove from heat.
- Pour through a fine strainer into a clean bowl and whisk in butterscotch mixture. Chill until cold, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours; or cover and chill up to 1 day.
- Freeze mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve softly frozen, or transfer ice cream to an airtight container and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours or up to 1 week.
Makes 1 quart.
- Desserts, Ice cream
- North American
What do you make for yourself on Sunday mornings? Hea729 pampered herself by making homemade eggs benedict!
I hadn't made these since I was pregnant 2 years ago. So yummy! And easy too!
- Being a good hostess means that you make guests feel welcome and comfortable, that's why it's important to think about their diets. Don't serve a meat-heavy menu if you have vegetarians in attendance. A friend allergic to gluten? Offer a gluten-free meal. While you may have to think outside the box, there are millions of dishes in the world; it can be done!
- If it's easier for you to cook with a theme, like rustic Italian, casual Californian, or traditional Spanish, do so!
- Unless you are highlighting a special item on purpose, (like serving a blood orange meal, where each course features blood oranges), make sure there isn't too much of one ingredient. Too much cheese or starch or vegetables will result in an unbalanced meal.