The theme of his demo was quintessential Southern cuisine with the defining flavor of the South being bourbon. While cooking bacon bourbon ice cream and bananas foster, he joked about the differences between Yankees and Southerners in the kitchen and had some pretty hysterical and memorable quotes. To see what he had to say about everything from parenting to Martha Stewart, read on.
A highlight of any food festival, including this past weekend's New York City Wine and Food Festival hosted by the Food Network, is the tasting tent. Located on a pier overlooking the river, the long-covered tent was filled with countless things to taste: wine, spirits, chocolate, hot dogs, sandwiches, scallops, and more. After spending several hours in the tent, I don't know what I didn't taste. To get a glimpse of the experience, I've rounded up my favorite bites.
Besides revealing a little of her personal life at a demonstration, Giada De Laurentiis also hosted one of the kickoff parties to the Food Network's New York City Wine and Food Festival. On Thursday night she was taking pictures and passing out meatballs at Meatball Madness, a walk-around competition that featured over 30 of New York's Italian restaurants and chefs.
While I thoroughly enjoyed Nate Appleman's (of Pulino's Bar and Pizzeria) pepperoni meatball, my favorite was from Missy Robbins of A Voce. Her meatball was stuffed with a wonderfully creamy herb and ricotta mixture. The top prize of the people's choice award, however, went to Mia Dona's Donatella Arpaia. Her tasty meatball was served slider-style on potato focaccia with cacciocavallo cheese. It was spicy and pretty darn delicious!
To get a better look at the event, check out the photos after the jump.
- Napa, CA: Morton's and the Mondavi Families: Celebrating the Legendary Blend — Oct. 7
- New York, NY: Food Network New York City Wine and Food Festival — Oct. 7-10
- Des Moines, IA: World Food Festival — Oct. 7-10
- Gulf Shores, AL: National Shrimp Festival — Oct. 7-10
- Seattle, WA: Celebrity Chef Tour — Oct. 8
- San Francisco, CA: WhiskyFest — Oct. 8
- Charleston, SC: Taste of Charleston — Oct. 8-10
- Scottsdale, AZ: Arizona Taco Festival — Oct. 9
- Reno, NV: Great Italian Festival — Oct. 9-10
- Grand Prairie, TX: 27th International Bar-B-Que Cookoff — Oct. 9-10