In getting ready for Fall, we're rounding up the best apps for back-to-school. We already shared our favorite apps for math and science, so it's time to get your grammar fix! Here are our picks of the best English and grammar apps for all ages — from the young ones just learning how to read to those anxiously awaiting the SAT, as well as professionals looking to freshen up on the basics.
- Shakespeare in Bits (free): Studying Shakespeare can often feel like learning another language. This app takes a multimedia approach to learning and teaching Shakespeare plays, combining animation, audio, and text. With translations, analyses, and plot summaries, everything that you need to understand and appreciate Shakespeare is at your fingertips.
- Grammar Up (free): If you're no longer in a daily English class, but need to freshen up your grammar skills for work, a college course, or the blog you want to start, this app is for you. Created with a business focus, you'll improve your grammar, word selection, and vocabulary through a series of tests with real-time feedback.
- SAT Vocabulary Prep ($3): This SAT app was made for the busy student looking to prepare for the "big day." Tackling all those tricky vocabulary words doesn't have to seem daunting though. Review over 1,000 words and take practice quizzes similar to the actual SAT so you will go into the exam feeling prepared and ready to achieve your goal!
- Dictionary.com (free): The days of flipping through the dictionary are over! This is a must for every smartphone and tablet. Look up words even without a WiFi connection. We love the cool extras that your standard dictionary doesn't have like voice search and a shake feature that lets you discover surprise words and definitions.
- Vocabology ($1): Through a word-of-the-day feature and addictive quizzes, Vocabology helps you learn new words that you won't forget. The app also shows you how to pronounce unfamiliar words.