The Fourth of July is one holiday where some chefs actually got the chance to spend time with family and friends, and while off the line, our favorite food personalities didn't go off-line. Instead, they shared their Fourth of July memories and experiences with their fans via Instagram and Twitter. Keep clicking to take a look.
On judging Burger Bash: As a judge who's trying to remain unbiased, Zakarian doesn't believe in favorites or front-runner bias. When judging burgers, he pulls the patty out of the burger to taste the beef unadorned. "I want to taste the beef first — I don't care what they put on it," he says.
On advice for those new to an event like Burger Bash: The Iron Chef suggests trying first-timers new to the competition first over legendary names; sometimes they provide a new, unexpected perspective.
See what's in the pipeline for him when you keep reading.
The music was pumping. Justin Warner was chillin'. "The secret ingredient is . . . gastronomy!" the party pamphlet declared. Where else could we be but The Next Iron Chef party at the New York City Wine & Food Festival? It was Saturday night at the jam-packed Highline Stages in Manhattan's Meatpacking District, and everyone from Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto to The Next Iron Chef: Redemption hopeful Alex Guarnaschelli was rocking the party, talking to guests and serving their most worthy dishes.
Curious to know what foods make the cut in Kitchen Stadium? Get a preview when you see the provisions plated by stars of The Next Iron Chef: Redemption and Iron Chef America.
Photo: Anna Monette Roberts
I had a chance to catch up with the chef over the phone, where he revealed his thoughts on why he won, how he hopes to set himself apart from the others on Iron Chef America, and what he always makes for the holidays.
YumSugar: You had a very serious expression on your face when the final outcome was revealed. What was your first thought when they announced you as the winner?
Geoffrey Zakarian: Well, they actually didn't call my name, which was sort of confusing, because whenever anyone got kicked off, they would actually say, "You will not be the next Iron Chef." But I was stunned, shocked, and relieved; there was a real sense of accomplishment.
Zakarian on his toughest Next Iron Chef moments, and his upcoming Kitchen Stadium challenges, after the jump.
- Make a chocolate cake like the one being served at the royal wedding.
- Make a chocolate cake like the one being served at the royal wedding. — Serious Eats
- Eight of the most common genetically modified foods. — Huffington Post Food
- Starbucks has passed Wendy's to become the nation's third-largest restaurant chain. — USA Today
- The 15 hottest burgers in America. — Eater
- San Francisco's mayor actually opposes the shark fin ban. — San Francisco Chronicle
- Celebrity chef Geoffrey Zakarian files for bankruptcy. — Grub Street NY
- KFC goes green with an eco-friendly store. — Gearlog
- Make Gwyneth's mascarpone-and-parmesan macaroni and cheese. — Devour the Blog