Ever since I found out that today is Banana Lover's Day, I haven't been able to stop thinking about one thing: a banana split. I can't remember the last time I had one, but I'm definitely getting the fixings to make this treat later tonight. As much as I would love to make my own ice cream, sauces, and caramelized nuts, I'm going to use store bought stuff and jazz it up with homemade whipped cream. I always have heavy whipping cream on hand and it only takes a few minutes to make. To meet me in banana split heaven, read more
I love bananas so much that I have one every work day at 11:30am. If you love bananas as much as I do, then you'll be excited to know that today is National Banana Lover's Day! To celebrate, I've put together a few fun facts about bananas:
- The banana plant is not a tree. It's actually the world's largest herb!
- A banana plant may grow up to 30 feet in length with stems weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Bananas are native to Malaysia, and have been in existence for over 1 million years.
- Bananas were once considered a very exotic, hard to find fruit.
- Bananas were first sold in the United States in 1876 at the 100th anniversary party of the Declaration of Independence in Pennsylvania. They were wrapped in foil and cost only 10 cents.
- Today bananas are grown in 132 countries across the globe.
- The average person eats 33 pounds of bananas a year!
Got a banana fun fact to share with us?? Tell us below and share your love for bananas!