To turn this hearty stew into a weeknight feast, I'm going to serve it with some crusty garlic bread and a mixed green salad. The result is a satisfying meal that takes minutes to make. Interested? Then keep reading for the recipe.
This recipe combines potatoes with carrots and white kidney beans. Although it calls for milk, it doesn't require full-fat milk, fat-free is fine.
It's hearty and vegetarian, plus any leftovers will make an excellent lunch tomorrow. To learn how to make it, read more
With its pieces of clams, tomatoes, and veggies, this red chowder is healthier then the cream-based variation. Serve with a side of mixed greens and a hunk of crusty bread, and you've got a deliciously comforting weeknight meal. Check out the recipe and read more
Whether you're in Brattleboro, VT, or Ponca City, OK, you've got the pick of the crop when it comes to food events this weekend. I know there are Spam and strawberry festivals, but I'm new to the world of rhubarb and horseradish celebrations. What will you be attending? Let us know what you're up to below!
- New York, NY: Wine & Spirits Magazine's Top of the List — June 2
- Orlando, FL: Slow Food Potluck Dinner — June 2
- Palm Springs, CA: Palm Springs Restaurant Week — June 2-19
- Las Vegas, NV: Taste of the Nation Las Vegas — June 4
- New York, NY: James Beard Key West Seafood Celebration — June 4
- Brattleboro, VT: The Great Vermont Grilled Cheese Cook-off — June 5
- St. Louis, MO: St. Louis Brewers Festival — June 5-6
- Snowmass, CO: Snowmass Chili Pepper & Brew Fest — June 5-6
- Lincolnton, NC: Hog Happenin' — June 5-6
- Aledo, IL: Rhubarb Fest — June 5-6
- Fort Harrod, KY: Fort Harrod Beef Festival — June 5-7
- Newport, RI: Great Chowder Cook-Off — June 6
- San Francisco, CA: Spring Breakfast at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market — June 6
To see the rest, read more
I've admitted a number of times that the Summer sun has brought on an intense craving for shore-style seafood. So when I was invited to enjoy a meal at Sam's Chowder House, I couldn't turn it down: nestled on a quiet corner of the California coast in Half Moon Bay, Sam's has long been one of my favorite seafood restaurants — not only for the view, but also for the fresh fish. Can't make it there just yet? Get a glimpse of the mouthwatering dishes and the jawdropping ocean views when you read on.
Delight your family with this divine chowder recipe. The salty porkiness of the bacon is balanced by the oceanic freshness of the crabmeat, making for a soup that is filling and well-balanced.
It's also chock-full of vegetables — potatoes, leeks, red pepper, corn — which means it's a meal in a bowl.
Don't be intimidated by the long ingredient list; this chowder really is a cinch to throw together. Get the recipe now when you read more
The key is to add the fish in the last hour, so as not to overcook it. Cream of celery soup and milk powder add richness and body to the stew; chunky potatoes, stewed tomatoes, and legumes add texture.
To make this effortless meal, read more
- During times of economic hardship, familiar American desserts can be a sweet comfort. — San Francisco Chronicle
- What role do tannins play in wine? — Washington Post
- Food review site Yelp has become an online force to be recognized. — New York Times
- Cozy up to those many exotic varieties of Winter squash. — The Oregonian
- For a speedy and inexpensive crowd-pleaser, make dinner Eggplant Parmesan pie. — Boston Globe
- Select white wines to stand up to any chowder. — Chicago Tribune
- A devastating blight wiped out American chestnuts, but now they're making a comeback. — Los Angeles Times
- General Mills has issued a recall of Progresso Hearty Tomato Soup. — Food & Drug Administration
I was captivated when I first saw this TeamSugar photo — the potato and meat in the soup look chunky and hearty, and I can just taste the dill on the tip of my tongue. I was too enthralled to even notice that this recipe, with its step-by-step photos, was actually Syako's first attempt at food photography! If you, too, are tempted by the dinner possibility, then read more
It's only Tuesday, but I'm already looking forward to the multitude of festivals this weekend.
There are so many in the Bay Area alone that I can't decide whether to hit up the Santana Row Pear Festival, the Half Moon Bay Art & Pumpkin Festival, or the Monterey Wine Festival. I suppose I might just rock them all!
Have we left something out? If so, please drop us a line in the comments below!
- San Francisco, CA: Wine & Spirits Top 100 Tasting — Oct. 14
- New York, NY: At the Table: New York — Oct. 14
- Torrance, CA: Oktoberfest at Alpine Village — Oct. 14-20
- Circleville, OH: Circleville Pumpkin Show — Oct. 15-18
- Monterey, CA: Monterey Wine Festival — Oct. 16-18
- Tulsa, OK: Tulsa Oktoberfest — Oct. 16-19
- Crowley, LA: International Rice Festival — Oct. 16-19
- New York, NY: 6th Annual Gourmet Institute — Oct. 17-19
- Paso Robles, CA: Harvest Wine Weekend — Oct. 17-19
To see the rest, read more