The world can finally stop trying to get into El Bulli.
The world can finally stop trying to get into El Bulli. No amount of patience, luck, or connections will get anyone a reservation. Last week, Catalan chef Ferran Adrià confirmed that he would be closing down his Michelin three-starred restaurant for good.
Last month, Adrià made the most elusive restaurant seat infinitely harder to get when he announced he'd be temporarily shuttering El Bulli in 2012, and reopening it in 2014. But in an interview on Friday, the chef said the closure would be permanent because he and his business partner, Juli Soler, had been losing a half million Euros a year on the venture. Rather than funding the restaurant, they will now use that money to establish a new El Bulli academy that will promote contemporary ideas in food.
News of the eatery, which is considered one of, if not the, most avant-garde in the world, will disappoint the 3,000 people on the restaurant waiting list. I'm certain this news has crushed the hope of thousands of culinary cognoscenti — no doubt it has quashed mine. Was El Bulli on your list of places to visit?
Update: Apparently the New York Times misquoted the Spaniard. Earlier today Adria told a Spanish newspaper that the restaurant will close only for the aforementioned two years.