Many claim that any food is better if it's fried in a vat of oil — but when should you draw the line? State fairs across America have served up ridiculous items like fried butter and deep-fried bubble gum, and chefs are always looking for a new spin on classics. Check out these 12 bizarre fried foods, and decide whether or not you would try them.
Summer wouldn't be the same without an annual trip to the fair. Aside from thrilling rides and endless tossing games in an effort to win a stuffed bunny, a fair-goer must take part in the decadent, sometimes greasy, and oh-so
delicious unhealthy fair food. Let's see if you can figure if the following popular carnival treats contain over or under the 300 calorie mark.
Source: Flickr User Matt loves kicksTake the Quiz
I'll try anything once, but I'm pretty sure this invention has taken deep-fried food one step too far. At 810 calories per stick — and that's before it's been deep-fried — I'm pretty sure even the biggest butter lover, Julia Child, would find it a bit obscene. Would you eat it?
Source: Flickr User sfllaw
Bring the flavor of the Summer-fair season into your kitchen with this fun recipe. The pork chops are quickly marinated in a store-bought salad dressing before being shallow fried.
The final result is crispy, slightly sweet, and scrumptious. Serving the pork on a stick makes for a delicious presentation that both kids and adults will enjoy.
To check out the recipe, read more
- Bored of making your kids the same food each day? Check out these creative lunchtime ideas. - iVillage
- I'm not really sure you want to know this, but just in case, here's a nutritional breakdown of fair food. 760 calories in a funnel cake?! - FitSugar
- Do you know where the best pizza in America can be found? The field's been narrowed down to three finalists! - Serious Eats
- Speaking of pizza, things just got a little bit crazier at Domino's. Now they're offering an Oreo Dessert Pizza. - Slashfood
- I wish I had the space to collect cake stands. But since I don't, I'll just have to make my own for each party - Apartment Therapy: The Kitchen
- How did we all miss an exhibition of artists using chocolate as their medium? - Will Work For Food
- Don't let him order the Cosmo. Learn more about the 10 Drinks Men Should Never Order. - Chow
- Specialty kiosks will allow you to get recipes while at the grocery store. - Baking Bites
- Using a microwave will get you a lovely semolina-banana-coconut cake in under 15 minutes. Now if only I had a microwave... - Culinate
- A moving tale about the noise a crab make when it dies. - Culinate