Over the last few weeks, we've made a coast-to-coast tour of this scrumptious country in search of the foods, techniques, trends, and influences that define each region. At only 236 years old, the United States has spawned countless local cuisines and dishes, each bearing its own uniquely American story. It's impossible to round up every one without penning a tome or two, so we invite you to join us on an eating adventure for a few of our favorites. Grab a seat on our road show when you check out this slideshow!
This Independence Day, celebrate all things beautiful with our Summer beauty roundup. From poolside hairstyles, sunscreen application, and more, we've gathered our best warm-weather stories all in one place. Just click the photos below to browse away. Then go out, grab a hot dog, and enjoy the sunshine.
The Best Summer Beauty Products
Places You Might Forget to Apply Sunscreen
Sweatproof Makeup Must Haves
Summer Tattoo Care
Test Your Sunscreen Knowledge
Perfect Poolside Hairstyles
When we received these bright Icy-Cools Reusable Ice Cubes ($9) and red-and-white Kikkerland Biodegradable Paper Straws ($6), we sought out a clear cocktail with plenty of flavor that would highlight the festive red, white, and blue colors.
We were looking for something refreshing and light and came across the 1930s Pegu Club Cocktail from The Savoy Cocktail Book. The original cocktail contains orange curacao and lime juice, but we substituted those ingredients with Dry Soda drinks, since they offer the essence of orange and lime flavors without using the juices, which would cloud the cocktail. "Fourth" plays off the Fourth of July holiday but also the four ingredients that make up the cocktail.
Wish you had a sparkler in hand this holiday? Twinkle with this cocktail instead.
Happy Independence Day! We hope your kiddos are decked out in their best red, white, and blue and getting ready to celebrate our nation's 236th birthday! Whether you're heading to a beautiful beach, gathering around the barbecue, or packing for a picnic, we're sure your tots are waving their flags and enjoying their American-themed ensembles. Don't worry if you haven't finished your holiday planning — we've got you covered with last-minute tips and tricks to supplement the fireworks this evening!
- Cool things off with all natural red, white, and blue popsicles the kids will have fun creating with you.
- It's not too late to decorate your July 4 bash! Try these printables you can make straight from your printer!
- Give your favorite desserts a push with patriotic push pops.
- Let the lil ones lend their talents to your celebration decorations with these fun red, white, and blue crafts for kids!
- Kids scared of the fireworks? These firework crafts take the bite out of their pop!
- There's still time to bake! These red, white, and blue desserts will inspire some serious patriotism from your family!
- Don't forget to take some pictures throughout the day! These patriotic photo ideas will come in handy during parades and parties!
Don't forget! The Fourth of July is a prime picture-taking opportunity for you and your kids! We love cute tots and so do our readers! Upload your patriotic shots to the Sugarbabies group, and we may share them on the site!
As if being the first family of the United States wasn't enough, the Obamas have another reason to celebrate the Fourth of July: it's Malia Obama's birthday! The first daughter turns 14 today. Whether on the campaign trail or at the White House, the Obamas typically celebrate the Fourth as a family. Get in the patriotic spirit with a look at their celebrations over the half-decade now. Happy Fourth of July!
The Fourth of July is the ideal time to perfect your all-American look, and with it being on a Wednesday, we think that gives you an extra excuse to red, white, and blue it all week long. We have everything you need to spark some sartorial fireworks of your own this year, from pool-party-appropriate rompers to your BBQ best. Happy birthday, America — and don't forget to scoop up that one extra outfit à la Americana just for good luck. On Allison McNamara: Motel top, Lia Sophia necklace.
It's time to get festive this Fourth of July! Show your patriotic pride by cooking with red, white, and blue ingredients. Many of the season's most delicious offerings — strawberries, vanilla ice cream, and blueberries — fit the color scheme, so don't be afraid to get creative. Here are five dishes to inspire your all-American celebration.
Just because it's a holiday doesn't mean you should skip your workout! Whether you're hosting a neighborhood potluck or hitting the beach all day, here's how you can fit in some exercise on Independence Day.
- Start your day right: If you know you'll have a jam-packed schedule of eating, drinking, and lounging tomorrow, make crossing off your workout your top priority in the morning. Take advantage of the holiday and grab some friends to catch up with or wake up early to get in a morning run before the crowds. You'll feel great for the rest of the day knowing that you still accomplished your workout and started off your day of celebrating on the right foot.
- In the kitchen: Chopping, cooking, and prepping your barbecue fare can be a great workout for your arms, but for even more of a workout, add some lower-body moves to your cooking to burn even more calories. Do one of these basic lower-body exercises (like squats, lunges, and deadlifts) while you're waiting for the water to boil, and finish with these stretches you can do in your kitchen.
- Schedule it: It's the Fourth, and you've got one thing on your mind — how to get to a beach, stat. Between tanning and gossiping, make sure you schedule in some time to enjoy the sand and surf while being active. A casual swim in the ocean or renting a kayak for an hour or two can break up your day and also make sure you're not sedentary for hours on end. Learn just how many calories you're burning when you do water sports here.
- Wind down: If you're feeling stuffed after your barbecue, gather your friends and family for a walk around the block or to catch the fireworks, or go on a bike ride before the sun sets. The light exercise will help you feel less bloated and can help you get a good night's sleep so you can wake up ready to continue your workweek.
For the final stop on our whirlwind regional American food tour, we're climbing the lofty peaks of the Rockies and Grand Tetons to scope out the fabulous food finds of the Mountain West region. In an area defined by rugged landscapes and harsh weather patterns, settlers learned to live off the sometimes bleak landscapes and take advantage of the region's bountiful native fauna. What has resulted is a food culture that appreciates each ingredient and looks to its determined past to craft each hearty dish. Care to learn more about the range of high altitude cuisine? Just keep reading.
In honor of the Fourth of July tomorrow, we're supplying you with seven patriotic pieces to help you get the party started. That said, we're veering away from the obvious flag prints and instead looking to inspired pieces to add a subtle red, white, and blue touch to our outfits. Think red canvas kicks that would pair perfectly with denim dresses, a festive spin on the friendship bracelet, and the cutest printed romper that will carry you through the fireworks and beyond. See and shop them all now.