For vegans who have to live without ice cream, this crave-worthy frozen dessert will make you forget all about that creamy off-limits treat. Made with only four ingredients — bananas, almond butter, applesauce, and dairy-free dark chocolate — each delicious bite is under 50 calories.
From Jenny Sugar, POPSUGAR Fitness
Vegan Dessert: Chocolate-Covered Banana Almond Butter Bites
2 large ripe bananas
1/8 cup almond butter
1/8 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Peel bananas and slice into quarter-inch pieces.
- Mix the almond butter and applesauce in a small dish. Smear the mixture on one banana slice and top it with another banana slice to make a sandwich.
- Place the banana sandwiches on a cutting board lined with parchment paper and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Before removing the bananas from the freezer, melt chocolate chips using the double-boiler method: place chocolate chips in a heat-safe glass or metal bowl, then place the bowl on top of a pot of boiling water. Stir continuously until the chips are completely melted.
- Take the banana sandwiches out of the freezer and dip them in the chocolate (keep it on the boiling water to prevent the chocolate from cooling). Place the sandwiches back on the paper. Once they're all covered in chocolate, pop them back in the freezer. They're ready to eat after 15 minutes.
Makes 20 mini sandwiches. See the nutritional information below for one chocolate-covered banana almond butter bite.
Source: Calorie Count