- It appears that once a month, the ladies should eat a healthy dose of cilantro as it may ease monthly hormonal mood swings and may reduce menstrual cramping.
- It has bacteria-killing agents! While I wouldn't trust it to rid my kitchen of salmonella, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my cutting board.
- Cilantro is said to have anti-inflammatory powers that can help arthritis sufferers.
For the past two and a half years, I've complained about everything from a lack of utensils to an unfriendly hostess in my regular column called, Party Foul. Well, guess what? I don't just want to focus on the bad. Parties are supposed to be fun, so it's high time I introduce a new feature, Party Fabulous, that highlights haute hostesses and chic party ideas.
Take this simple, but pretty garnish, for example. While I've seen plenty of champagne flutes topped with strawberries, I've never seen a heart-shaped strawberry with mint-leaf garnish. I found this lovely detail at a recent bachelorette party. Here's how to re-create it at home:
- Stem and hull the strawberry.
- Turn the berry over and run the knife though the bottom so it can be placed on top of a glass (be careful not to cut the berry all the way in half).
- Take two small mint leaves and place inside the hole. Slide onto a glass. Voila!
Can you imagine how gorgeous a tray of strawberry-topped glasses will look at the entrance of a party? Do you have a fabulous tip for a party? Share your experiences below.
You may be wondering why I'm writing about something so seemingly trivial as toothpicks, but think about it, toothpicks are essential to a bartender. More importantly, toothpicks are a crucial component to my favorite cocktail, the vodka Classic Martini. The olives float chicly on the side of the angular glass. Without toothpicks the martini is incomplete. Vital to creating cool, stylish garnishes, your bar is not complete until you have a small box of toothpicks. Toothpicks come in about a million varieties and it's fun if you are hosting a party to get a set that go along with your theme. However for everyday use, plain old wooden toothpicks work fine as long as you have a sleek little toothpick holder. I love this silver one by Target that runs for the moderate price of $9.80.
For more picks, read more