Jack in the Box claims that the move to kill toys in kids' meals wasn't in response to outside pressure, but the hubbub surrounding Happy Meal bans couldn't have hurt its decision. Note that while other fast food establishments like McDonald's and Chipotle have been seeing growth, Jack in the Box sales still haven't managed to return to pre-recession levels. Do you think dropping the toys from kids' meals and simplifying the menu will kick-start sluggish sales?
Source: Flickr User Roca Chang
- A collection of sweet and savory snacks for your desk drawer.
- A collection of sweet and savory snacks for your desk drawer. — Chow
- The FDA on radiation safety: "There is no risk to the US food supply." — FDA
- Was it the Noma book that cost René Redzepi a third Michelin star? — Grub Street SF
- Food trucks have officially jumped the shark: even Jack in the Box has one. — Eater
- How foodies are raising money for Japan. — Epi-Log
- As food prices soar, so will your restaurant tab. — Walletpop
- Amidst Japan's nuclear crisis, Chinese shoppers are stockpiling iodized salt. — Eatocracy
- Must make: Middle Eastern lamb pizza. — Serious Eats
Today only, mosey over to your nearest Jack in the Box anytime after 2 p.m. and score dos tacos, gratis. Although there isn't much explanation in the promotion's advertisements, officials did say it's intended to highlight improvements made to the menu item.
Want to know if Jack's tacos are better? Find out for yourself and get to a participating location.
Clockwise from left: Amazing Baby Musical Jack in the Box ($25), FAO Schwarz Bear Jack-in-the-Box ($20), Tolo Toys Musical Jack in the Box ($15), Curious George Jack-in-the-Box ($20), Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium Clown Jack-in-the-Box ($15), Prancing Pony Jack in the Box ($23).
Meanwhile, Jack in the Box announced its latest product, The Breakfast Pita Pocket, will also be a fit-friendly morning option. The fast food chain's new item, priced at $2.69, will feature a whole-grain pita pocket with eggs, bacon, ham, and American cheese.
I'm not surprised to learn that specialty coffee drinks and breakfast sandwiches are the fastest-growing items in fast food. Wendy's and Taco Bell are both rolling out programs next year, and I'm willing to bet there'll be at least one healthy morning option on each. Are you happy to see these chains offering healthier breakfast? Do you ever eat fast food in the morning?
- Jack in the Box is responding to feedback and revamping its French fries.
- How Oscar winner The Cove is helping to bring down illegal sushi operations.
- Make a craveworthy shrimp po'boy with none of the grease.
- Chef and restaurant owner Bobby Flay will throw down $800,000 in back wages.
- Fat: Australian researchers think it's the sixth taste.
- Food Networker Ingrid Hoffman is back in the restaurant biz — this time, with a food truck.
Source: Flickr User VirtualErn
Although I haven't been there since trying the chain's cheesy macaroni bites last year, I'm thinking tonight I'll head over to my local Jack to score a deuce. Will you do the same?
In addition to featuring one of the best junk food burgers out there — the Sourdough Jack (oh, man I just made myself hungry!) — I have to say Jack in the Box has some pretty great commercials. Take this one for their fruit smoothies, featuring a glassy-eyed menopausal woman who claims this beverage keeps her from going "street rat crazy." (A Jack in the Box fruit smoothie? Really?)
Lately fast food chain Jack in the Box has been getting a lot of publicity. First there was the ad campaign — that debuted at the Super Bowl — in which its brand's fictitious face, Jack, was hit by a bus. Although Jack lies in a coma, the company asked consumers to show their support by enjoying free curly fries and free tacos. Now, Jack's come out of his coma and naturally to celebrate, the chain is giving away fast food, again. All day tomorrow, Tuesday March 10, you can score a free small fry (natural cut or seasoned curly) and fountain drink of your choice. To obtain the food, you'll need to print this coupon. Although Jack is out of his coma, he has yet to speak publicly about his new logo.
While I'm always a fan of free food, all these Jack in the Box giveaways are getting out of control! Will you take advantage of the deal?