The highly anticipated James Beard Awards took place yesterday, and while we couldn't be there in the flesh, it sure felt like we were: Twitter was aflutter with snapshots, congratulations, and jokes from attendees. Wish you were a part of the action? Get an inside look at what really went on last night inside the winner's circle when you flip through these pictures.
For the first time ever, there was an Outstanding Bar Program award, and it went to Jim Meehan, owner and bar manager at PDT in New York City. Other highlights? Eleven Madison Park's Daniel Humm nabbed top prize for Outstanding Chef; Wolfgang Puck spoke at length as he accepted a Lifetime Achievement Award.
Christina Tosi of Momofuku Milk Bar fame took home title of Rising Star Chef; the pastry wunderkind declared that if she could cook anything for James Beard, it would be turkey pot pie. Read ahead to see the full list of 2012 James Beard Award winners.
As for the winners: José Andrés was predicted to take home the Outstanding Chef Award, which he did — while Eleven Madison Park in New York City took home the year's award for best restaurant. To see the most updated list of accolades, keep reading.
The hosts — all past James Beard Award winners themselves — will run with this year's "Ultimate Melting Pot" theme. They'll spearhead the May 9 gala reception as nominees and guests enjoy provisions from the likes of José Andrés and Jose Garces. Stay tuned for the announcement of James Beard Award finalists, which will come later this month.
Plus, I think Alton would make a great, if eccentric, emcee. Who would you like to see host the Oscars of the food world?
The semifinalists were announced for the following restaurant and chef categories: outstanding restaurateur, outstanding chef, outstanding restaurant, outstanding service, best new restaurant, rising star chef of the year, outstanding pastry chef, outstanding wine service, outstanding wine and spirits professional, and best chef for the following regions: Pacific, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, Great Lakes, New York City, Northeast, Northwest, Southeast, Southwest, and South.
To find out which big names made headlines, read more.
Many of you are gearing up for Mother's Day, but if you've got some time to spare, there are plenty of enjoyable events worth checking out. There are two national events to note: You can celebrate American Craft Beer Week (find out what is happening in your neck of the woods) and on Saturday, help fight hunger at the Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive.
- Humboldt, TN: West Tennessee Strawberry Festival — May 3-9
- Bay Area, CA: Sexy Dishes Week — May 4-8
- Atlanta, GA: Taste of the Nation Atlanta — May 6
- Manchester, NH: Taste of the Nation Manchester — May 6
- Hartford, CT: Taste of the Nation Hartford — May 7
- Las Vegas, NV: Vegas Uncork'd — May 7-10
- New Orleans, LA: World Cocktail Week in the Big Easy — May 8
To see the rest, read more
From the Indie Wine Festival to the Oscars night of the food world, May has signaled a slew of new and exciting food events. I can assure that you'll have a great time at Chicago's Toast of the Town or any of the Taste of the Nation events. Got any other food events to add? Please feel free to comment below!
- Chicago, IL: James Beard Foundation's Tru Celebration — April 29
- Chicago, IL: Toast of the Town Chicago — April 30
- New Orleans, LA: New Orleans Jazz Fest — Apr. 30-May 3
- Newport Beach, CA: Taste of the Nation Orange County — May 1
- Portland, OR: Portland Indie Wine Festival — May 1-2
- Huntsville, AL: Whistle Stop Festival — May 1-2
- Fort Lauderdale, FL: Las Olas Wine & Food Festival — May 1-2
To see the rest, read more
If you aren't too tied up with Easter or Passover festivities this week, perhaps you can squeeze in time for a few more palatable events. I'd love to attend the Scottsdale Culinary Festival and the seminar on nontaxing tax day cocktails. Who couldn't use one of those?
Know of any enticing engagements we've left off the list? Feel free to chime in below!
- San Francisco, CA: A Moveable Feast Seasonal Supper — Apr. 7
- New York, NY: Charles Krug and Mac Mondavi Bottle Signing — Apr. 8
- New York, NY: Food For Thought Film Festival — Apr. 11
- San Francisco, CA: Eggstravaganza — Apr. 11
- San Diego, CA: California Wine Festival — Apr. 11-12
- Scottsdale, AZ: Friends of James Beard Benefit — Apr. 14
- New Orleans, LA: Nontaxing Cocktails Seminar — Apr. 14
- Scottsdale, AZ: Scottsdale Culinary Festival — Apr. 14-19