- Lobster: Get it while it's cheap!
- Lobster: Get it while it's cheap! — The Atlantic
- Meet TasteStopping, the website that takes Tastespotting's rejects. — Eat Me Daily
- Spice things up with Padma's chili honey butter. — Serious Eats
- What’s the right answer to “Can I bring anything?” — Chow
- Deep dish blueberry maple French toast. Enough said. — Endless Simmer
- The next time you host a baby shower be inspired by the letter B . — Hostess With the Mostess
- In September, David Chang and Wylie Dufresne will let a group of French chefs take over their kitchens. — Eater
- 21 top-rated burger recipes, including beef, turkey, cheese, and veggie varieties. — Epicurious
Lobster rolls might just be the world's most ideal on-the-go treat: they're highbrow yet informal, portable yet palatable, and, like all shore food, pair perfectly with a balmy breeze. For my next outdoor meal — likely to be a picnic at a Summer concert —I'll surprise everyone with these simple yet stunning sandwiches. If I have the time, I'd love to steam live lobster myself and make my own mayonnaise for the freshest roll in town — but if I don't have the bandwidth, I'll still wow the crowd, using pre-cooked lobster meat and fresh hot dog buns. Decide which version fits your schedule best when you read more
Ever since I started my adventures in expensive sandwiches, I've been dying to try the ridiculously pricey Lobster Club at Neiman Marcus's Rotunda restaurant in San Francisco. I'll be the first to admit that $28 is way too much to pay for one sandwich, but I rationalized that it's made with lobster and big enough to feed two people. Plus, it's fun to pretend that I belong at this quintessential destination for ladies who lunch.
The Rotunda's lobster club is a double-decker served on toasted brioche, which has a slightly sweet French bakery flavor. The lobster portion was quite generous, so the taste came through even while competing with tomato and bacon. Was it worth $28? Find out and get the recipe when you read more
On Christmas Eve it's customary for Italians to consume seafood for dinner; they enjoy course after course of rich fish items. Although my family has Irish origins, I thought it would be fun to plan an Italian-style Christmas Eve — this year we'll be eating seven delicious seafood dishes. To get the party started we'll have raw oysters and cold, marinated anchovies waiting for the guests. Once a group has arrived, the hot appetizers will be set out. Spicy seared scallops are a delightful bite and slices of clam pizza are crisp and salty.
At the dining table a tuna and white bean salad will be served, followed by a silky shrimp bisque. The meal finishes with a velvety lobster pasta with cream sauce. Doesn't it sound to die for? Look at these recipes when you read more
The cost of Maine lobster, which accounts for 80 percent of lobsters in America, has plummeted. What may be a bargain for some has left others in a snag: Lobstermen and northeastern fishing communities, hit hard by the price drop, are struggling to survive.
There are a couple of reasons for this price drop. The budget conscious are consuming less of the luxury seafood item. Also, Canadian processors, which buy more than half of Maine's lobster harvest, have been short on credit as many were tied to failing Icelandic banks. This has left Maine with a surplus of lobsters.
"This is as devastating to the state of Maine as Hurricane Katrina washing away all the boats and blowing down all the wharves," says Dana Rice, a lobster dealer who's been in the business for more than 30 years. Many villages are coming together to better the situation. One held a lobster bake on the town pier to get rid of its lobster surplus.
After hearing about the drop in Parmesan cheese prices, are you surprised to learn of the lobster crisis? If you've eaten lobster recently, have you noticed a dramatic price difference?
This week, spice up your free time with the chili cook-offs that are setting the country aflame. Whether you're looking for an epicurean adventure at the Bellagio, or something more along the lines of a back-country roadkill cook-off, you're in luck. Check out what's going on in your neck of the woods this week, and let us know if we've left anything off the list!
- Sante Fe, NM: Santa Fe Wine & Chile Fiesta — Sept. 24-28
- Las Vegas, NV: Gourmet's Taste of Bellagio — Sept. 25
- New York, NY: Joy of Sake New York — Sept. 25
- Providence, RI: Food for Thought — Sept. 25
- London, KY: World Chicken Festival — Sept. 25-28
To see the rest, read more
In the height of good weather, food and festivity abound, and right about now, I'm wishing I could teleport myself around the United States. First I'd hit up Manhattan for Wine 2.0's wine sampling this week, followed by the Shrimp & Grits Festival in Georgia, and then some classic Eli's cheesecake in the Windy City. Don't miss out on these events — if you do, you'll have to wait another year!
- New York, NY: The StarChefs Rising Stars Revue New York — Sept. 16
- New York, NY: Epicurious Wine.Dine.Donate New York — Sept. 17
- New York, NY: Wine 2.0 New York — Sept. 18
- Atlantic City, NJ: Celebrity Chef Tour Atlantic City — Sept. 18
- Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA: Delaware River Food & Wine Festival — Sept. 18-21
- Nappanee, IN: Nappanee Apple Festival — Sept. 18-21
- La Crescent, MN: Applefest 08 — Sept. 18-21
- Leavenworth, WA: Wenatchee River Salmon Festival — Sept. 18-21
To see the rest, read more
Fresh lobster with its sweet, succulent meat, is the quintessential Summer dish. Whether you're new to cooking lobster or a seasoned expert, this shellfish is an opulent meal for alfresco entertaining. If you're a beginner, simply grill the store-bought tails for an impressive meal. Ready for something more challenging? The expert meal calls for cooking live lobsters and serving them alongside simple, elegant sauces. To get both recipes, read more
Like caviar, lobster is a food that's synonymous with luxury. Who among us hasn't joked about ordering the lobster when someone else is paying for dinner? But lobster isn't always hoity-toity: the shellfish has also inspired lobster bibs and Red Lobster restaurants.
In honor of National Lobster Day today (Friday the 13th!), take my quiz to see how much you know about this delicious dish.Take the Quiz