Good restaurant chefs run highly efficient kitchens: food is so time- and temperature-sensitive that even two minutes of neglect can mean a pot boiled over or a beautiful fillet of fish scorched beyond repair. If you're new to cooking or looking for ways to take your kitchen skills to the next level, you'll appreciate these five ways to streamline your cooking.
- Does mise en place really save you time?
- Does mise en place really save you time? — The Kitchn
- Bon Appétit is moving to New York, but without editor Barbara Fairchild. — Eater
- Oh no they didn't: cupcake-stuffed cupcakes. — Serious Eats
- Is it wrong to address a waiter as "amigo"? — Chow
- Who knew: Top Chef's Mattin Nobila plans to open a health center. — Inside Scoop
- The Summit, a new restaurant, art gallery, and startup space, hopes to cover all the bases. — Grub Street SF
- Clean your oven the easy and eco way. — CasaSugar
Source: Flickr Users wickenden
Mise en place is a French culinary term that refers to the gathering and prepping of ingredients before starting the cooking process. It's standard practice in restaurant kitchens, but I'm wondering how many of you do it at home?
When a recipe calls for an assortment of diced vegetables, like carrots, celery, garlic, and onions, chop the onions last. This is especially important if you are prone to crying when slicing onions.
The onion's chemicals will leave a natural residue in the air and on the cutting board and knife. The minute diced onions hit the pan, however, the enzymes that produce the tear-inducing gases are destroyed. The less time between dicing and cooking onions the better.
Got a tip for chopping veggies? Share with us below!
Mise en Place
A French term that literally means, "setting in place." It's used in cooking to describe all the prep and gathering of ingredients before starting the actual cooking process. This means pulling out your pots and pans, and every single ingredient before you even think about turning the burners on. Following this technique will definitely put you on the track to becoming a star chef.