We kind of can't believe that March is already here, which means National Grapefruit Month is over. We were just getting started enjoying this delicious citrus fruit! No matter, we've rounded up all of our favorite posts about grapefruits, from cocktails to salads, so that we can keep eating (and drinking) them up throughout the rest of the year.
- Add a teaspoon of grapefruit zest to your baked goods. Try this technique next time you make muffins, cupcakes, pound cake, or even sugar cookies!
- Add a few tablespoons of grapefruit juice to your basic powdered-sugar icing for added tangy flavor.
- Try out the latest trend to hit the food blogs: broiled grapefruits!
- Segment your grapefruit and add to winter salads for bright, juicy flavor.
- And, of course, use freshly squeezed grapefruit juice in cocktails, like the Freshly Pressed, the Salty Dog, or grapefruit mimosas.
What are your favorite ways to enjoy grapefruit?
Source: Flickr User Dan Zen
I'm loving National Grapefruit Month and the excuse it has given me to come up with tasty cocktails featuring the ruby red citrus fruit.Case in point: the Freshly Pressed. This refreshing tipple features my favorite spirit, gin, the juice from half a grapefruit, Rose's lime juice, and grapefruit bitters. Its perfectly pink hue is delicate and feminine, making it a lovely option for girls night in. For the recipe, read on.
Grapefruit lovers: if you haven't discovered it yet, get to know a cocktail called the Salty Dog.
No, it's not a strange concoction with hot dogs, but the cousin to the classic Greyhound. Both the Greyhound and Salty Dog combine fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice with vodka. The Salty Dog, however, is served in a salt-rimmed glass similar to a margarita.
We invite you to share your favorite grapefruit photos and recipes in our YumSugar Community or by using the hashtag #savorysight on Instagram.
Source: Flickr User sewm